From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 04:09:59
1 On 18-02-13 03:43:29, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > >
3 > > Attached is a patch for glep 39 which will make this change.
4 > >
5 > > Thoughts?
8 > William,
9 >
10 > the actions of all projects can be appealed with the council. So this doesnt
11 > make too much sense, unless you want council members to be temporarily retired
12 > from Gentoo.
13 >
14 > This is precisely why we have the listing of candidates for the council
15 > elections, where comrel, qa, and infra members are clearly marked. If you
16 > don't want any overlap, don't vote for these candidates, as simple as that.
17 >
18 > Something else though...
19 >
20 > Do you really think that working on comrel issues is "fun" and that this is a
21 > much sought-after position?
22 >
23 > Just about the only appeal of being comrel member that I could imagine is some
24 > diffuse feeling of power, but believe me that is very quickly offset by the
25 > xxxx you have to digest. (Of course one could try to just join the team and
26 > not do anything, but that's not what I am talking about.) Also it's a bit like
27 > described in the Hitchhiker's guide, everyone who really really wants to do it
28 > is essentially unsuited for the job.
29 >
30 > Food for thought...
31 >
32 > I'm against this change to GLEP39, and challenge everyone who doesn't want me
33 > on the council to not vote for me in the next election. Cheers!
36 Currently comrel is invite only, so you are not doing yourself any
37 favors in baring yourself off from possible aid (at least hold yearly
38 applications or something). At least in the Openstack world one of the
39 responsibilities of being a project lead (PTL) is the recruitment of
40 people to the project and curation of those people into 'core'
41 reviewers.
42
43 I think actively recruiting to comrel would help(hopefully this helps
44 alter the perception that comrel is a closed body). Further, I think
45 reactivating the proctors would be good as well (which is actively
46 being worked on).
47
48 As far as the proposal goes, this is my opinion (and only my own, not
49 the foundations, since this needs to be said nowadays). In a perfect
50 world we'd have separate people for each position and enough people to
51 'man' each position. Unfortunately this is not (even close to) a
52 perfect world. Thus, this is my proposal.
53
54 Any project that governs another project that makes group decisions must
55 not have more than a quorum number of members in the group making the
56 group decisions. Those that vote in group decisions of child projects
57 must recuse themselves if receiving an appeal from the governed project.
58
59 This means that if council is 7 people, they cannot have 4 people in the
60 group that makes group decisions within the governed child project.
61
62 More specific of an example... Council would not be allowed to have 4
63 members (of 7) be members of comrel.
64
65 This would also prevent (and allow with a bylaw update) members of
66 Council and Trustees to 'cross pollinate' to a degree if extended to
67 also modify the rule that council and trustees must not have the same
68 members.
69
70 I'll submit this as an alternate proposal to glep39 (rfc first of
71 course) if people like it.
74 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)