From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: zlg@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Foundation meeting agenda for April 2018
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2018 04:10:27
1 On Sun, Apr 08, 2018 at 09:38:47PM -0400, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 9:06 PM, Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > > This is a request by two developers (and not by the council). But I
5 > > would like to answer one of your questions.
8 > > On Sun, Apr 8, 2018, at 19:11 CDT, zlg <zlg@g.o> wrote:
9 > >
10 > > > [...]
11 > > >
12 > > > To the Council:
13 > > >
14 > > > What makes you accountable to this community? Why should we trust or
15 > > > respect you when you have nothing on the line except a title? What
16 > > > happens next if these affirmations are made? What's your angle, your
17 > > > real motivation?
18 > >
19 > > The Gentoo Developer community has used GLEP 39 [1] for its
20 > > self-organization for the last 12 years. Our "real motivation" (speaking
21 > > as individual developers) is to keep it that way.
24 > > > How do you trust a Council member when they have nothing to lose by
25 > > > acting against the community?
26 > >
27 > > I fail to see how trying to get an affirmation that the Gentoo
28 > > Foundation is still on board with GLEP 39 is "acting against the
29 > > community".
30 > >
31 > > We have had a very public case of prometheanfire pushing for dissolving
32 > > the current metastructure and reorganizing the community under the
33 > > Foundation. Andreas and I, personally, disagree with that.
36 > I'm curious what the difference between 'discussing an idea' and 'pushing
37 > for an idea' is.
38 > I want a community where we can discuss ideas (even ideas the council or
39 > you dislike) without it causing a major incident or people getting upset
40 > about it.
41 > What would you have people who have these ideas do differently?
42
43 (council hat on)
44
45 Alec,
46
47 Yes, I see this the same way. I, for one, was open to
48 discussing prometheanfire's idea. The way you do that is you state why
49 you don't like the idea and go from there to either try to refine it or
50 drop it.
51
52 My opinion is that my fellow council members see his proposal as a power
53 grab. I don't understand why though, because all it was was a proposal.
54 There was no attempt to act on it, and it couldn't have been enacted
55 without a full developer vote in the first place.
56
57 William