From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Questions for Candidates (was: Questioning/Interviewing council nominees)
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 15:26:20
1 On 1 July 2013 19:16, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman schrieb:
3 >>> I did not say that maintainers can ignore policy. The removal of
4 >>> ebuilds must follow certain rules which are set in policy.
5 >> IMO this really doesn't say anything at all. Of course maintainers
6 >> have to follow policy. The question is what should the policy be?
7 >
8 > I think I am beginning to understand what you want to say. You want the
9 > council (or some other body) to act as enforcer to bring maintainers in
10 > line with prevailing opinion. Sorry, I am not supporting that.
11 >
12 >> The original question was whether we should be forking or splitting
13 >> packages over adding single files when the maintainer doesn't want
14 >> them in the original package. Right now we have no explicit policy
15 >> governing this.
16 >
17 > Yes, and due to the absence of policy it is the maintainer who has the
18 > final say. That is how it is currently, and how I think it should be in
19 > the future too. GLEP 39 specifically says that you cannot monopolize the
20 > package, and anyone can fork the ebuild. That is sufficient remedy
21 > against uncooperative maintainers in my eyes.
22 >
23 > I wrote in a previous message that I would reconsider my position if the
24 > amount of forked packages grew to unmanageable proportions. But until
25 > then, if the kids cannot get along they shall play on separate playgrounds.
26 >
27 >>> With x32 specifically, a number of people including some upstreams think
28 >>> that the whole concept is a bad idea. A case could be made for patches
29 >>> that #ifdef x32 and which compile to a no-op on other arches, but even
30 >>> those must be maintained. What if the patch no longer applies after a
31 >>> version bump?
32 >> Well, since I'm only talking about WELL-SUPPORTED project-related
33 >> work, just ask the project team to fix the patch. If they don't in a
34 >> reasonable timeframe, then it isn't well-supported and the maintainer
35 >> can do whatever they want with it. Project teams should only take on
36 >> patches if they think they can sustain them. Most likely for
37 >> something like x32 they'd only do it for strategic packages anyway
38 >> (toolchain, etc).
39 >
40 > But in this hypothetical scenario you have unloaded additional work on
41 > the maintainer. He just wants to bring the latest and greatest version
42 > to his users, and the failing patch prevents him from doing that. He has
43 > to request and then wait for the a new patch, and if he bumps the
44 > package anyway after timeout risks breaking x32 users' systems.
45 > If he does this voluntarily, fine. If the patch was forced on him,
46 > putting him in this dilemma is not fair.
49 > Best regards,
50 > Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
54 Thank you for this voice of reason.
57 Cheers,