From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Questions for Candidates (was: Questioning/Interviewing council nominees)
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 11:16:44
1 Rich Freeman schrieb:
2 >> I did not say that maintainers can ignore policy. The removal of
3 >> ebuilds must follow certain rules which are set in policy.
4 > IMO this really doesn't say anything at all. Of course maintainers
5 > have to follow policy. The question is what should the policy be?
6
7 I think I am beginning to understand what you want to say. You want the
8 council (or some other body) to act as enforcer to bring maintainers in
9 line with prevailing opinion. Sorry, I am not supporting that.
10
11 > The original question was whether we should be forking or splitting
12 > packages over adding single files when the maintainer doesn't want
13 > them in the original package. Right now we have no explicit policy
14 > governing this.
15
16 Yes, and due to the absence of policy it is the maintainer who has the
17 final say. That is how it is currently, and how I think it should be in
18 the future too. GLEP 39 specifically says that you cannot monopolize the
19 package, and anyone can fork the ebuild. That is sufficient remedy
20 against uncooperative maintainers in my eyes.
21
22 I wrote in a previous message that I would reconsider my position if the
23 amount of forked packages grew to unmanageable proportions. But until
24 then, if the kids cannot get along they shall play on separate playgrounds.
25
26 >> With x32 specifically, a number of people including some upstreams think
27 >> that the whole concept is a bad idea. A case could be made for patches
28 >> that #ifdef x32 and which compile to a no-op on other arches, but even
29 >> those must be maintained. What if the patch no longer applies after a
30 >> version bump?
31 > Well, since I'm only talking about WELL-SUPPORTED project-related
32 > work, just ask the project team to fix the patch. If they don't in a
33 > reasonable timeframe, then it isn't well-supported and the maintainer
34 > can do whatever they want with it. Project teams should only take on
35 > patches if they think they can sustain them. Most likely for
36 > something like x32 they'd only do it for strategic packages anyway
37 > (toolchain, etc).
38
39 But in this hypothetical scenario you have unloaded additional work on
40 the maintainer. He just wants to bring the latest and greatest version
41 to his users, and the failing patch prevents him from doing that. He has
42 to request and then wait for the a new patch, and if he bumps the
43 package anyway after timeout risks breaking x32 users' systems.
44 If he does this voluntarily, fine. If the patch was forced on him,
45 putting him in this dilemma is not fair.
48 Best regards,
49 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn