From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: GLEP 76
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 07:12:03
1 On 6/15/19 11:49 AM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 12:42:20 +0300 Andrew Savchenko wrote:
3 >> Hi all!
4 >>
5 >> Last year we had a good initiative: it addition to (or even instead
6 >> of) manifests nominees were asked questions by voters. So let's
7 >> continue this year.
8 >>
9 >> I propose to have one question per thread spawned by this e-mail to
10 >> keep discussion focused. If you have multiple questions, please
11 >> start multiple threads. If your question was already asked, please
12 >> join a thread.
13 >>
14 >> I'll ask my questions in subsequent e-mails.
15 >
16 > In my opinion GLEP 76 is the most controversial decision made by
17 > running council. While it fixed some long standing issues like
18 > copyright headers and proper acknowledgement of out of the tree
19 > contributors, it created grave problems: now some long-time
20 > contributors and even developer are seriously discriminated because
21 > they want to keep their privacy.
22 >
23 > What is your opinion on this problem?
24
25 I think everyone involved in the discussion meant well, but different
26 cultural starting points (e.g. different ideas about what copyright
27 means), trying to find a compromise, not being experienced with legal
28 language/concepts (or even legal concepts not translating well between
29 languages) etc.etc. conspired to make this a very weirdly shaped thing
30 that imo doesn't do what people think it does.
31
32 I mostly ignored the discussion because it was a too high volume of
33 email on a topic where I don't see a strong need to act, in hindsight
34 that was naive optimism on my side.
35
36 > Should GLEP 76 be left as is?
37
38 No,it should be improved.
39 E.g. having signed commits, and adding signed-off-by, is ... weird.
40 It also leads to semantic satiation, where every commit has
41 signed-off-by, every commit, signed-off-by, signed-off-by ...
42
43 And since it's autogenerated it doesn't really mean anything. It would
44 make more sense to add it *only* to commits from not-gentoo-devs, since
45 all the other commits are already signed by authenticated users.
46
47 > Should GLEP 76 be cancelled?
48 > Should GLEP 76 be improved and how?
49 See above :)