From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Code of conduct
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 13:12:44
1 On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 7:50 AM, Wulf C. Krueger <wk@×××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > out of curiosity: The (old or new) CoC is not to blame, the proctors
4 > were not to blame (you wrote that in another email in this thread) and,
5 > so, basically all you want to change is
6 >
7 >> updat[ing] the enforcement section to point to Comrel instead of
8 >> Proctors [...]
9 >
10 > If that's so, you're exchanging people (who were not to blame in the
11 > first place) and expect what exactly to, uh, change?
12 >
13 > Or to pose the question differently: Why will this attempt succeed
14 > where the first one failed?
15
16 Maybe my email wasn't clear - I don't expect it to succeed and am
17 questioning why we're doing this...
18
19 I expect that revising the old CoC will not change anything, except
20 perhaps to remove some outdated bits.
21
22 I expect that the newly proposed Coc will not change anything.
23
24 If we want to spend time tweaking the CoC doing the former involves
25 less effort. I'm not really a proponent of doing either, but if we
26 want a new CoC I think at the very least somebody needs to explain
27 what it will accomplish.
28
29 What will change things is the willingness to actually enforce the
30 CoC. Markos has communicated that he intends to do just that, and for
31 my part on the Council (the court of appeal) I certainly will do what
32 I can to back him up. That isn't to say that I won't fairly evaluate
33 appeals, but I'm not going to second-guess every little temporary list
34 ban. I don't think our policies are the problem - I suspect the
35 original CoC would actually have done a lot of good if the Proctors
36 had been allowed to do their job.
37
38 Rich