From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Infra Kickstarter?
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 00:32:08
1 Am Mittwoch, 18. Februar 2015, 04:47:31 schrieb Robin H. Johnson:
2 >
3 > I've wondered in the past, about doing a Kickstarter/IndieGogo to pay me
4 > for spending a month or two on Gentoo, based on the model of the very
5 > successful Django kickstarter:
6
7 Sure, why not! It's worth a try.
8
9 > Potential major projects for it, in a rough priority order:
10 > - Get rid of cfengine
11 > - Migration of services off some of our oldest servers
12 > - Split-model Puppet (like Wikimedia)
13 > - Projects Hosting (mostly repurposing 'kup', but needs some dev work)
14 > - Split mail & dev.g.o
15 > - eu.dev.g.o box (post-split of mail)
16 > - Official Gentoo cloud images, from releng (because they'd make infra's
17 > life easier too).
18 > - List Archives
19 > - Website revamp
20
21 Sounds good to me.
22
23 > Stuff that is NOT on the table (and why)
24 > - Git migration
25 > - We're actually just blocked on a specific new sponsor for more than
26 > month now, they bought a nice new box, and they have to fix
27 > something in their network.
28
29 You know, keeping people updated of current developments (maybe some sort of
30 infra blog, or an "Infra News" section of the GMN) would also be great.
31 Especially for topics where a lot of passion is involved (say gitweb or git
32 migration)... :] Write it once and be rid of questions for a while.
36 Andreas K. Huettel
37 Gentoo Linux developer
38 dilfridge@g.o
39 http://www.akhuettel.de/