From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Infra Kickstarter?
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 04:29:33
1 On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 07:10:53AM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 4:01 AM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > If I could afford to spend the more than just volunteer time on Infra,
5 > > yes, I'd love to have few full 40 hour weeks to put into cleaning up our
6 > > cfengine and puppet to where it's significantly easier to manage.
7 >
8 > The one thing I was trying to avoid doing was giving an impression
9 > that the infra team isn't busy doing work that helps everybody around
10 > here.
11 >
12 > You summarize the problem well here. You're too busy due to a labor
13 > shortage to do the sorts of things that would help reduce the labor
14 > shortage.
15 Of infra staff, in 2014 antarus left infra, and we gained dastergon
16 prometheanfire redlizard. bonsaikitten turned us down again, as he's
17 busy running the gentooexperimental infrastructure.
18
19 > I don't mean to trivialize the problem, either. Gentoo has a lot of
20 > donated infrastructure, and a decent amount of cash when you're
21 > talking about replacing hard drives and such. The problem is that we
22 > really don't have the kind of money it would take to take on even a
23 > single employee.
24 I've wondered in the past, about doing a Kickstarter/IndieGogo to pay me
25 for spending a month or two on Gentoo, based on the model of the very
26 successful Django kickstarter:
27 https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/andrewgodwin/schema-migrations-for-django
28 (there have been other open source kickstarters since then, but the
29 Django one was one of the first that delivered just open source
30 software).
31
32 If I wanted to do it full-time, for the cost of living (with my wife and
33 10 month old daughter) in Vancouver, at a bare minimum, I need it to be
34 at least $6000CAD/month before taxes.
35
36 Potential major projects for it, in a rough priority order:
37 - Get rid of cfengine
38 - Migration of services off some of our oldest servers
39 - Split-model Puppet (like Wikimedia)
40 - Projects Hosting (mostly repurposing 'kup', but needs some dev work)
41 - Split mail & dev.g.o
42 - eu.dev.g.o box (post-split of mail)
43 - Official Gentoo cloud images, from releng (because they'd make infra's
44 life easier too).
45 - List Archives
46 - Website revamp
47
48 Stuff that is NOT on the table (and why)
49 - Git migration
50 - We're actually just blocked on a specific new sponsor for more than
51 month now, they bought a nice new box, and they have to fix
52 something in their network.
53
54 This also needs to have a self-sustaining result, not an expectation
55 that it will be repeated in future.
58 Robin Hugh Johnson
59 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Infrastructure Lead
60 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
61 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85