From: Pavlos Ratis <dastergon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Infra Kickstarter?
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 13:30:09
1 On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 5:47 AM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 07:10:53AM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > > On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 4:01 AM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o>
6 > wrote:
7 > > >
8 > > > If I could afford to spend the more than just volunteer time on Infra,
9 > > > yes, I'd love to have few full 40 hour weeks to put into cleaning up
10 > our
11 > > > cfengine and puppet to where it's significantly easier to manage.
12 > >
13 > > The one thing I was trying to avoid doing was giving an impression
14 > > that the infra team isn't busy doing work that helps everybody around
15 > > here.
16 > >
17 > > You summarize the problem well here. You're too busy due to a labor
18 > > shortage to do the sorts of things that would help reduce the labor
19 > > shortage.
20 > Of infra staff, in 2014 antarus left infra, and we gained dastergon
21 > prometheanfire redlizard. bonsaikitten turned us down again, as he's
22 > busy running the gentooexperimental infrastructure.
23 >
24 > > I don't mean to trivialize the problem, either. Gentoo has a lot of
25 > > donated infrastructure, and a decent amount of cash when you're
26 > > talking about replacing hard drives and such. The problem is that we
27 > > really don't have the kind of money it would take to take on even a
28 > > single employee.
29 > I've wondered in the past, about doing a Kickstarter/IndieGogo to pay me
30 > for spending a month or two on Gentoo, based on the model of the very
31 > successful Django kickstarter:
32 >
33 > https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/andrewgodwin/schema-migrations-for-django
34 > (there have been other open source kickstarters since then, but the
35 > Django one was one of the first that delivered just open source
36 > software).
37 >
38 > If I wanted to do it full-time, for the cost of living (with my wife and
39 > 10 month old daughter) in Vancouver, at a bare minimum, I need it to be
40 > at least $6000CAD/month before taxes.
41 >
42 > Potential major projects for it, in a rough priority order:
43 > - Get rid of cfengine
44 > - Migration of services off some of our oldest servers
45 > - Split-model Puppet (like Wikimedia)
46 > - Projects Hosting (mostly repurposing 'kup', but needs some dev work)
47 > - Split mail & dev.g.o
48 > - eu.dev.g.o box (post-split of mail)
49 > - Official Gentoo cloud images, from releng (because they'd make infra's
50 > life easier too).
51 > - List Archives
52 > - Website revamp
53 >
54 > Stuff that is NOT on the table (and why)
55 > - Git migration
56 > - We're actually just blocked on a specific new sponsor for more than
57 > month now, they bought a nice new box, and they have to fix
58 > something in their network.
59 >
60 > This also needs to have a self-sustaining result, not an expectation
61 > that it will be repeated in future.
62 >
63 > --
64 > Robin Hugh Johnson
65 > Gentoo Linux: Developer, Infrastructure Lead
66 > E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
67 > GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
70 A Kickstarter/IndieGogo fund-raising campaign would be great for these kind
71 of time-consuming efforts.
72 I had asked in trustees' IRC channel about that topic last August and they
73 replied that there isn't any issue on running such campaigns with a
74 specific objective.
75
76 Although a remote full-time job is ideal and irreplaceable, an alternative
77 solution would be a Sprint like Debian DSA team[1] and KDE[2] did in the
78 past.
79 More specifically, KDE ran successfully fund-raiser campaigns for Randa
80 Meetings in 2012[3] and 2014[4].
81 In addition, instead of increasing expenses for booking a place to organize
82 the Sprint, a company could provide a room to hold the sprint, like SUSE
83 did to KDE Plasma developers[5].
84
85 Of course the alternative option needs more planning since the infra team
86 is distributed around the world and most of the members have already a
87 full-time jobs and obligations.
88 However, since a Sprint was discussed in the Gentoo Dinner in FOSDEM I
89 wanted to mention it as an alternative solution for potential organization
90 in the future.
91
92 [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2013/06/msg00164.html
93 [2] https://sprints.kde.org/sprint/all