From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>, gentoo-project@l.g.o, Gentoo Council <council@g.o>, games@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-10-11
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 21:28:33
1 On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 22:58:31 +0200
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Following up to this. I think the choice is between the two extremes
5 > of keeping the status quo and of changing all non-FHS locations, or
6 > some intermediate solution.
7 >
8 > 1. Keep status quo:
9 >
10 > /usr/games/bin games binaries
11 > /usr/games/lib* games libraries
12 > /usr/share/games static games data
13 > /etc/games games configuration
14 > /var/games variable game data
15 > /var/log/games games logs
16
17 This is no longer 'status quo', rather 'past status quo' which is
18 slowly removed in favor of whatever upstream uses.
19
20 > 2. Change all locations that are not conforming to FHS 3.0:
21 >
22 > /usr/bin games binaries
23 > Rationale: The FHS has /usr/games as an optional directory for
24 > binaries, but we cannot use it because it is blocked by the current
25 > directory layout with /usr/games/{bin,lib*}.
26 >
27 > /usr/lib* games libraries
28 >
29 > /usr/share static games data
30 > Rationale: The FHS also allows an optional /usr/share/games but its
31 > description says "Static data files for /usr/games". So if the
32 > binaries are installed in /usr/bin then (as I read it) the data
33 > should go to /usr/share (i.e., to /usr/share/${PN} really).
34
35 I'd say we shouldn't take FHS this strongly, and use whatever upstream
36 uses. If upstream uses /usr/share/games, so be it. If it
37 uses /usr/share directly, so be it. Otherwise, we end up patching stuff
38 and unnecessary patching is no fun at all. I still remember how much
39 code I had to patch to make random games comply to 'gentoo' locations.
40
41 > /etc games configuration
42 >
43 > /var/games variable game data
44 > Rationale: FHS section 5.7.: "Any variable data relating to games
45 > in /usr should be placed here."
46 > This could also be used for logs previously placed in
47 > /var/log/games, when for some reason they cannot got to /var/log
48 > (but AFAICS it would affect only two packages in the tree).
51 Best regards,
52 Michał Górny
53 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>