From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>, gentoo-project@l.g.o, Gentoo Council <council@g.o>, games@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-10-11
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 20:58:42
1 Following up to this. I think the choice is between the two extremes
2 of keeping the status quo and of changing all non-FHS locations, or
3 some intermediate solution.
4
5 1. Keep status quo:
6
7 /usr/games/bin games binaries
8 /usr/games/lib* games libraries
9 /usr/share/games static games data
10 /etc/games games configuration
11 /var/games variable game data
12 /var/log/games games logs
13
14 2. Change all locations that are not conforming to FHS 3.0:
15
16 /usr/bin games binaries
17 Rationale: The FHS has /usr/games as an optional directory for
18 binaries, but we cannot use it because it is blocked by the current
19 directory layout with /usr/games/{bin,lib*}.
20
21 /usr/lib* games libraries
22
23 /usr/share static games data
24 Rationale: The FHS also allows an optional /usr/share/games but its
25 description says "Static data files for /usr/games". So if the
26 binaries are installed in /usr/bin then (as I read it) the data
27 should go to /usr/share (i.e., to /usr/share/${PN} really).
28
29 /etc games configuration
30
31 /var/games variable game data
32 Rationale: FHS section 5.7.: "Any variable data relating to games
33 in /usr should be placed here."
34 This could also be used for logs previously placed in
35 /var/log/games, when for some reason they cannot got to /var/log
36 (but AFAICS it would affect only two packages in the tree).
37
38 Ulrich