From: Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for nominees
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2022 10:36:33
1 On Fri, 2022-07-01 at 13:28 -0500, John Helmert III wrote:
2 > > Gentoo is a community project. The health of a community project
3 > > relies on being controlled by that community. Many developers, and
4 > > even council nominees, have employers who many may see as not
5 > > having
6 > > the best interest of open source communities at heart. Note that I
7 > > do
8 > > *not* think that one's employer makes them less valuable as a
9 > > contributor, or even that developers employed by certain companies
10 > > > are
11 > > unsuitable to be on council. Still, I think that it's important to
12 > > keep in mind any potential conflicts of interest between Gentoo and
13 > > one's employer.
14 > >
15 > > Thus, I have these questions for nominees:
16 > >
17 > > Does your employer use Gentoo? If elected to council, could this
18 > > produce a conflict of interest between your employer and Gentoo? If
19 > > so, how would you handle the conflict?
20
21 I've included disclosure in my manifesto, but I'll answer here directly
22 too.
23
24 I'm employed by Sony Interactive Entertainment, and we use Gentoo at
25 work.
26 My everyday work is not related to Getnoo in any way. I work in a
27 completely different area, using different tooling and OS-es.
28 I help with maintenance of some packages my employer might be using,
29 but as a backup maintainer (docker stack comes to mind), that's not
30 dictated by anyone, it's purely voluntary, just wanted to help williamh
31 with maintenance and keep an eye on alt-arch bugs. We are probably the
32 only distro who have docker stack functional on big-endian ppc64
33 because of those efforts.
34
35 I do not see any possible conflict of interest happening in my current
36 position and situation in foreseeable future.
37 But if conflict somehow happens ( I assume harmful to Gentoo scenario )
38 I will not in any way force it on Gentoo, and will resign from council
39 if conflict is unavoidable and harmful to Gentoo.