From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Proposed Revisions to QA GLEP-48
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 17:01:18
1 On 11/13/13 6:47 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > I would like to propose some changes to GLEP-48 as discussed in the
3 > most recent Council meeting.
4
5 Thank you for working on this.
6
7 > Here is my personal sense of the problems I've seen:
8 > 1. Complaints that QA is overbearing by devs in general.
9
10 My personal experience doesn't confirm this, but I do acknowledge that
11 this may be the case and that sometimes there is an impression of that
12 or more.
13
14 > 2. Complaints that QA is ignored.
15
16 +1
17
18 > 3. Complaints that QA has not been backed up by the Council, being
19 > reversed on appeal excessively.
20
21 I'm not aware of almost any reversals - still, I do agree that sounds
22 like a problem.
23
24 > 4. Complaints that QA is too closed.
25
26 +1
27
28 > I think the solution is therefore to give QA a mandate. The council
29 > has a mandate because it is elected by the developer community and is
30 > accountable to them annually. As such the council can confirm the
31 > lead of QA and confer their mandate upon them. In doing so the
32 > council and QA will be structurally aligned, and the council can be
33 > held accountable for failing to properly support the lead that they
34 > themselves confirmed. That said, the team should be self-governing to
35 > the greatest extent possible so the team will be given the opportunity
36 > of recommending a lead to the council.
37
38 I'm in favor of giving this a try.
39
40 Note, applies to all drafts: what if the council doesn't want to confirm
41 the elected lead? Another election? Council appoints their own guy?
42
43 Are there any protections about being simultaneously a Council member
44 and QA team lead/deputy?
45
46 If there is a conflict between a developer and QA that gets escalated to
47 Comrel and the developer appeals to Council, this appeal process will
48 still work - right?
49
50 > Some discussion came up in the council meeting regarding activities
51 > like running the tinderbox, filing bugs, etc. I think the
52 > policy/enforcement side of QA needs to have a mandate as it exercises
53 > power over all developers. However, the more "informational/advisory"
54 > side of QA does not need one. I see things like running a tinderbox
55 > as being a more traditional Gentoo project which does not need so much
56 > oversight - it might be a QA subproject but I think anybody who wants
57 > to provide helpful information to developers should be encouraged to
58 > do so. Any bugs they log would only have authority insofar as they
59 > align with the policy/enforcement side of QA (however, even when not
60 > required by policy developers are always encouraged to do what they
61 > can to fix bugs).
62
63 +1 we could have more tinderboxes and tinderbox more things.
64
65 Paweł