From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 13:53:21
1 On Wed, 19 Jun 2019 14:38:34 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2019-06-19 at 08:03 +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
3 > > On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 20:33:09 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > > On Tue, 2019-06-18 at 19:20 +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
5 > > > > On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 09:43:05 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
6 > > > > > On Sun, 2019-06-16 at 23:00 +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
7 > > > > > > Only active Gentoo developers who are also Foundation members may be
8 > > > > > > nominated. [1]
9 > > > > > >
10 > > > > > > Nominations MUST be made by posting to gentoo-nfp@l.g.o, and
11 > > > > > > the nominated candidate must accept not later than the end of the
12 > > > > > > nomination period.
13 > > > > >
14 > > > > > Ok, let's try someone else. I nominate:
15 > > > > >
16 > > > > > David Seifert (soap)
17 > > > > > Mikle Kolyada (zlogene)
18 > > > >
19 > > > > You violated the rules:
20 > > > > Nominations MUST be made by posting to gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
21 > > > >
22 > > > > But you sent them to gentoo-project@l.g.o mail list.
23 > > > > Hereby they are not valid. Please perform your duty properly and
24 > > > > send nominations to the aforementioned NFP mail list.
25 > > > >
26 > > >
27 > > > You could also have understood it was a honest mistake and be nice about
28 > > > it. But I suppose that's too much to expect from a ComRel member.
29 > >
30 > > I politely pointed out your mistake and nicely asked you to fix it.
31 > > I even used the word "please". I honestly don't see what was not
32 > > nice about my previous e-mail. Maybe we have a language barrier
33 > > issue here.
34 > >
35 > > My comrel membership has nothing to do with this discussion and
36 > > I'm participating in it as a common Gentoo developer with my comrel
37 > > hat off.
40 > Do you really believe that a ComRel member (read: a person whose duty
41 > involves judging other people's behavior) can just take ComRel hat off
42 > and stop caring about providing exemplary behavior?
43
44 I do believe that I am free to express my private opinion on any
45 public subject as long as such expression is within common sense
46 communication requirements, e.g. contains no obscene language,
47 humiliation or intentional misinformation and so on.
48
49 > Following that
50 > logic, I could join ComRel claiming that all the things I've said
51 > and done were 'with my comrel hat off' (since I don't have any)!
52 >
53 > I understand that there might be a language barrier. However, since you
54 > decide to perform a very specific and important role, I'm afraid you
55 > need to learn to use English in a way that's actually polite rather than
56 > using the excuse of a language barrier.
57
58 The language barrier works both ways. As far as I know English is
59 not your native language.
60
61 > Let me explain.
62 >
63 > A neutral (i.e. not really polite but acceptable) way of saying that
64 > would be to say 'you have posted the nominations to the wrong list'.
65 > That's plain and factual.
66 >
67 > You said 'you violated the rules' which is an accusation.
68
69 First and foremost this is the plain statement of the fact. As the
70 QA team member you have to understand that rules are the same for
71 everyone. Requiring special treatment is not fair to fellow
72 developers.
73
74 > Accusations
75 > tend to render one as guilty of doing something very bad. Accusations
76 > are not polite.
77 >
78 > Furthermore, 'perform your duty properly' is passive aggressive.
79
80 The Oxford dictionary contains different definition of the
81 "passive-aggressive":
82 https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/passive-aggressive
83
84 Let me quote it:
85
86 "Definition of passive-aggressive in English:
87 passive-aggressive
88 adjective
89
90 Of or denoting a type of behaviour or personality characterized by
91 indirect resistance to the demands of others and an avoidance of
92 direct confrontation."
93
94 Excuse me, but I trust the Oxford dictionary more.
95
96 Interesting, that your response to my initial message fits well in
97 the definition quoted above.
98
99 Best regards,
100 Andrew Savchenko