From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 12:38:43
1 On Wed, 2019-06-19 at 08:03 +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 20:33:09 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > On Tue, 2019-06-18 at 19:20 +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
4 > > > On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 09:43:05 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > > > On Sun, 2019-06-16 at 23:00 +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
6 > > > > > Only active Gentoo developers who are also Foundation members may be
7 > > > > > nominated. [1]
8 > > > > >
9 > > > > > Nominations MUST be made by posting to gentoo-nfp@l.g.o, and
10 > > > > > the nominated candidate must accept not later than the end of the
11 > > > > > nomination period.
12 > > > >
13 > > > > Ok, let's try someone else. I nominate:
14 > > > >
15 > > > > David Seifert (soap)
16 > > > > Mikle Kolyada (zlogene)
17 > > >
18 > > > You violated the rules:
19 > > > Nominations MUST be made by posting to gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
20 > > >
21 > > > But you sent them to gentoo-project@l.g.o mail list.
22 > > > Hereby they are not valid. Please perform your duty properly and
23 > > > send nominations to the aforementioned NFP mail list.
24 > > >
25 > >
26 > > You could also have understood it was a honest mistake and be nice about
27 > > it. But I suppose that's too much to expect from a ComRel member.
28 >
29 > I politely pointed out your mistake and nicely asked you to fix it.
30 > I even used the word "please". I honestly don't see what was not
31 > nice about my previous e-mail. Maybe we have a language barrier
32 > issue here.
33 >
34 > My comrel membership has nothing to do with this discussion and
35 > I'm participating in it as a common Gentoo developer with my comrel
36 > hat off.
39 Do you really believe that a ComRel member (read: a person whose duty
40 involves judging other people's behavior) can just take ComRel hat off
41 and stop caring about providing exemplary behavior? Following that
42 logic, I could join ComRel claiming that all the things I've said
43 and done were 'with my comrel hat off' (since I don't have any)!
44
45 I understand that there might be a language barrier. However, since you
46 decide to perform a very specific and important role, I'm afraid you
47 need to learn to use English in a way that's actually polite rather than
48 using the excuse of a language barrier.
49
50 Let me explain.
51
52 A neutral (i.e. not really polite but acceptable) way of saying that
53 would be to say 'you have posted the nominations to the wrong list'.
54 That's plain and factual.
55
56 You said 'you violated the rules' which is an accusation. Accusations
57 tend to render one as guilty of doing something very bad. Accusations
58 are not polite.
59
60 Furthermore, 'perform your duty properly' is passive aggressive. Adding
61 'please' doesn't make it any more polite -- in fact, given just before
62 a insulting statement it may have the exact opposite effect.
63
64 The polite way of saying that would be to strip the first part
65 of the sentence and just say 'please send nominations ...' In fact,
66 as you can see the passive aggressive part is completely unnecessary to
67 convey the meaning, so what's the purpose of adding it besides
68 intentionally offending someone?
69
70 I hope this explanation helps you improve your language skills.
73 Best regards,
74 Michał Górny