From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Groups under the Council or Foundation: the structure & processes thereof
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 19:53:00
1 On Thursday, October 13, 2016 7:33:01 PM EDT Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 11:49:45AM -0400, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
3 > > Who is working with the IRS?
4 >
5 > You know the answer to this question, because you explicitly asked me
6 > about it. Since I took on the role of Treasurer late last year, we've
7 > had 4 separate negative responses from the IRS to date, as well as one
8 > automatic acceptance (we filed an extension on last year's tax forms).
9
10 Robin, I was speaking more rhetorically as I found out about the IRS situation
11 from you as you know. :)
12
13 Also as discussed it was shocking to me when I found out. I thought it would
14 have been handled by now. Given it was something on my to do list when I was a
15 trustee. Had I not resigned, I would have made sure that was done long ago.
16
17 I was mostly saying that to the rest of the community. I knew who was, but do
18 others? Has anyone else stepped up to do the work?
19
20 Robin, the questions are not directed at you, just for the general community.
21 To answer and think about a topic that is not on most radar or even aware of.
22
23 > The negative responses have been centered around the lack of records
24 > passed on from the prior trustees, as well as the fact that the IRS
25 > doesn't see the new trustees as valid contacts (eg requiring an SSN
26 > rather than an ITIN, and rejecting my requests for information;
27 > rejecting our CPA's requests for information on the grounds of
28 > third-party contact rules).
29
30 I am aware and I gave some thoughts as to ways to further that situation. I
31 would have others, and be helping on the matter. But I rather not spend my
32 time as I did in the past. Even though I accomplished things, I get insulted
33 over that rather than any sort of thanks.
34
35 > > Why is that not in line since 2008 or ever?
36 >
37 > You'll have to ask the prior treasurers why they didn't keep it up to
38 > date. I received very little in the way of records from them, and NONE
39 > of those records I did get mention the IRS whatsoever.
40
41 I am aware, I was not happy with the accounting situation back in 2008, or
42 since. I would have participated in that had I not been driven away.
43
44 They are rhetoric questions, as I would have done these things in the past 8
45 years. That these things are falling on Robin's shoulders, along with the
46 weight he bears from infra and other things. Gentoo owes Robin quite allot! I
47 am not happy to see these things not done, nor who is having to do them in the
48 absence of others.
51 William L. Thomson Jr.