From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Formally have Council oversee the Foundation 2.0
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 01:17:01
1 On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 6:03 PM, Matthew Thode
2 <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
3 > On 01/14/2017 03:43 PM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Motivation: In recent vivid debates the Gentoo metastructure and the
6 >> responsibilities of its organs have been called into question by a vocal
7 >> minority. Compared with how the distribution has been running over the last
8 >> years, most of the proposals aim to adapt reality to organizational
9 >> structures. This proposal instead aims - in a very similar way as Michael's
10 >> SPI proposal - to adapt organizational structures to reality.
11 >
12 > I don't think I agree with this, characterizing my proposal as adapting
13 > reality to organizational structures is the exact opposite of what I'm
14 > trying to achieve. I'd go as far as to say we both want to adapt
15 > organizational structures to reality, and each of us may see that as
16 > different. For me it's the legal reality.
17
18 Honestly, saying that the Trustees legally have authority over the
19 Council is a bit like saying that the MPAA legally has authority over
20 anybody downloading torrents. Sure, they can go to a court, spend
21 $20k, fight a battle for a few years, and end up with a judgment on
22 one narrow issue. But, in the end everybody else just keeps doing
23 what they're going to do.
24
25 Ultimately the decision of who is to be entrusted to what is going to
26 come down to the developers, because if they don't respect the
27 authority of somebody trying to wield it then they're not going to
28 invest in Gentoo.
29
30 I think owning some IP and being able to pay bills is useful, but
31 these are not the things that cause us to donate our efforts to
32 Gentoo, or choose to run it.
35 > Administration following technical requirements is mostly fine, however,
36 > when a technical person tells the foundation to do something that's not
37 > allowed then at that point it makes sense for things to be dictated in
38 > the other direction.
41 Honestly, I don't see why the Council would be any more likely to
42 direct people to do things that are illegal than the Trustees would
43 be. If we want legal advice it would make far more sense to retain
44 legal counsel, or maybe work with an organization that does so.
45
46 To date, on what matter has the Council ever directed anybody to do
47 anything illegal, or failed to take advice from the Trustees.
48
49 The whole purpose of the Council is to take advice from other bodies
50 which sometimes have more expertise on narrow topics, and find
51 solutions that work for all of us.
52
53 > I'm not sure I agree with [C]. I don't think the Foundation is looking
54 > to tell the council what to do in purely technical matters, only in
55 > matters that have some bearing in a legal or financial way.
56
57 There seems to be a misconception that the Council is solely a technical body.
58
59 All our meeting summaries are logged, including all votes/decisions
60 made. Go through the last two years, and cite some examples of
61 decisions that the Council has made that were purely technical in
62 nature? About the closest thing to that are approving EAPIs, and a
63 LOT of the discussion/feedback on that comes from the PMS team and
64 from the lists/etc, as it should.
65
66 > Much has been said about [D] for why the Foundation should not oversee
67 > Gentoo as a whole (even though legally that's what we already do...).
68 > In the past the Foundation has been lax in renewal of some things, but I
69 > do believe that this is something that is firmly in the past. It has
70 > not been the case for years.
71
72 While it is true that we haven't let some of our major items lapse, in
73 general the Foundation struggles just to keep its books straight (and
74 would probably be in fairly dire straits if it weren't for Robin's
75 fairly heroic efforts). Also, in several recent years there hasn't
76 even been a Trustee election due to a lack of candidates, and when
77 there have been elections it is usually 3 people running for 2 seats.
78 The work the Trustees do is important, but it is hard to say that they
79 have a huge mandate when almost nobody wants the job. In contrast in
80 a typical Council election all the seats are up for grabs, most of the
81 winning candidates bother to write manifestos, and in most years there
82 are about half a dozen candidates who do not win. Most of the big
83 debates over how the distro ought to be managed tend to take place in
84 the context of the Council election as well.
85
86 Another way of looking at it is this: We struggle to find enough
87 people who want to take care of the bills/filings/etc. We will
88 struggle even more to find people who both want to do that, and are
89 trusted to manage overall decisions around how Gentoo operates.
90
91 > Antagonism from either side isn't going to help things move along but
92 > probably distract from actual goals (like this email probably is).
93
94 I don't see how a proposal for the Council to oversee the Trustees is
95 any more antagonistic than a proposal for the Trustees to oversee the
96 Council.
97
98 And the situation would be about the same as it would be under an
99 umbrella org, since most likely the team coordinating with such
100 organizations would fall under the Council.
101
102 I personally tend to prefer the SPI-like approach because it puts the
103 focus on running a distro, and not on running a corporation.
106 Rich