From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Formally have Council oversee the Foundation 2.0
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 23:03:37
1 On 01/14/2017 03:43 PM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 >
3 > Motivation: In recent vivid debates the Gentoo metastructure and the
4 > responsibilities of its organs have been called into question by a vocal
5 > minority. Compared with how the distribution has been running over the last
6 > years, most of the proposals aim to adapt reality to organizational
7 > structures. This proposal instead aims - in a very similar way as Michael's
8 > SPI proposal - to adapt organizational structures to reality.
9
10 I don't think I agree with this, characterizing my proposal as adapting
11 reality to organizational structures is the exact opposite of what I'm
12 trying to achieve. I'd go as far as to say we both want to adapt
13 organizational structures to reality, and each of us may see that as
14 different. For me it's the legal reality.
15
16 I'm not sure the Gentoo Council being put above the Foundation would
17 work. Mainly because we'd still have the 'two headed beast', though in
18 a different way. The Foundation would be beholden to both the US
19 government and the Council.
20
21 Administration following technical requirements is mostly fine, however,
22 when a technical person tells the foundation to do something that's not
23 allowed then at that point it makes sense for things to be dictated in
24 the other direction.
25
26 I'm not sure I agree with [C]. I don't think the Foundation is looking
27 to tell the council what to do in purely technical matters, only in
28 matters that have some bearing in a legal or financial way.
29
30 Much has been said about [D] for why the Foundation should not oversee
31 Gentoo as a whole (even though legally that's what we already do...).
32 In the past the Foundation has been lax in renewal of some things, but I
33 do believe that this is something that is firmly in the past. It has
34 not been the case for years.
35
36 I think that any change needs to happen from both sides, which is the
37 main reason I tried to reach out to the council a couple of months ago.
38 Antagonism from either side isn't going to help things move along but
39 probably distract from actual goals (like this email probably is).
42 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)