From: "Sam Jorna (wraeth)" <wraeth@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] How do you feel about non-contributing developers with commit access?
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2018 09:16:35
1 On 6/11/18 4:12 pm, Raymond Jennings wrote:
2 > From what I know, the undertakers project already has procedures in
3 > place for determining if a developer is inactive before they are
4 > retired, and I think the same procedures would apply just as easily
5
6 I'm not quite sure what you mean here, and it's kind of the crux of the
7 question as I understand it - should $developer who appears inactive
8 based on $policy be forcibly retired. I'm suggesting $policy cater for
9 low commit frequency with no outstanding issues so long as they're
10 available (or reasonably devaway) and not detrimental to the distro.
11
12 > At the very least, once someone has passed muster with recruiters and
13 > whatnot they shouldn't have to do a heap of paperwork just to get back
14 > in. Maybe email once every few months to see if they're still
15 > responsive, and a quick check to make sure their SSH/GPG keys are
16 > still
17 > valid and that there are no technical issues, but I oppose any changes
18 > in one's status as a developer just on inactivity alone.
19
20 I think this is also touching on another issue - re-recruitment of
21 previous developers. I agree with making sure things like keys are
22 up-to-date and there aren't any outstanding technical, maintenance, or
23 security issues, though.
24
25 > If someone has proven they can contribute and be trusted they
26 > shouldn't be removed in my opinion. As long as they aren't slacking
27 > off or sabotaging the distro. Going AWOL /with/ outstanding work on
28 > your desk, such as open bugs against packages you maintain? That is
29 > more serious and should probably warrant attention from the
30 > undertakers. But just going quiet period? Not so much since their
31 > absence isn't hurting Gentoo. The question is: is their retention of
32 > access causing harm to gentoo or obstructing development?
33
34 I don't think it's a question of obstructing development but of ensuring
35 there aren't any holes in security, such as retaining access for someone
36 that no-one's heard from and, as such, could have had anything happen,
37 including having passwords or keys stolen.
38
39 I do think that gauging the difference between inactive and infrequent
40 is difficult, and don't really have any constructive suggestions on that
41 point as yet.
44 Sam Jorna (wraeth)
45 GPG ID: 0xD6180C26