From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] How do you feel about non-contributing developers with commit access?
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2018 13:07:30
1 On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 1:16 AM Sam Jorna (wraeth) <wraeth@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 6/11/18 4:12 pm, Raymond Jennings wrote:
3 > > From what I know, the undertakers project already has procedures in
4 > > place for determining if a developer is inactive before they are
5 > > retired, and I think the same procedures would apply just as easily
6 >
7 > I'm not quite sure what you mean here, and it's kind of the crux of the
8 > question as I understand it - should $developer who appears inactive
9 > based on $policy be forcibly retired. I'm suggesting $policy cater for
10 > low commit frequency with no outstanding issues so long as they're
11 > available (or reasonably devaway) and not detrimental to the distro.
12
13 By procedures I meant that the prospective retiree gets emailed a
14 couple of times before they get reaped.
15
16 > > At the very least, once someone has passed muster with recruiters and
17 > > whatnot they shouldn't have to do a heap of paperwork just to get back
18 > > in. Maybe email once every few months to see if they're still
19 > > responsive, and a quick check to make sure their SSH/GPG keys are
20 > > still
21 > > valid and that there are no technical issues, but I oppose any changes
22 > > in one's status as a developer just on inactivity alone.
23 >
24 > I think this is also touching on another issue - re-recruitment of
25 > previous developers. I agree with making sure things like keys are
26 > up-to-date and there aren't any outstanding technical, maintenance, or
27 > security issues, though.
28 >
29 > > If someone has proven they can contribute and be trusted they
30 > > shouldn't be removed in my opinion. As long as they aren't slacking
31 > > off or sabotaging the distro. Going AWOL /with/ outstanding work on
32 > > your desk, such as open bugs against packages you maintain? That is
33 > > more serious and should probably warrant attention from the
34 > > undertakers. But just going quiet period? Not so much since their
35 > > absence isn't hurting Gentoo. The question is: is their retention of
36 > > access causing harm to gentoo or obstructing development?
37 >
38 > I don't think it's a question of obstructing development but of ensuring
39 > there aren't any holes in security, such as retaining access for someone
40 > that no-one's heard from and, as such, could have had anything happen,
41 > including having passwords or keys stolen.
42 >
43 > I do think that gauging the difference between inactive and infrequent
44 > is difficult, and don't really have any constructive suggestions on that
45 > point as yet.
46
47 My suggestion is to attempt periodic contact, which if I read the docs
48 is already the status quo as part of the retirement process.
49
50 > --
51 > Sam Jorna (wraeth)
52 > GPG ID: 0xD6180C26