From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Groups under the Council or Foundation: the structure & processes thereof
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 14:36:24
1 On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 9:22 AM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
2 > On 13/11/16 13:59, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> Why would we want people who don't make any significant contributions
4 >> to the organization to be voting on how it ought to operate?
5 >>
6 >> Those who do make significant contributions ought to sign up to be
7 >> developers/staff/whatever (you don't need to write ebuilds to be a
8 >> developer), and then they get to vote for Council.
9 > Yes, but status quo (unless I'm mistaken) is not all contributors (just
10 > ebuild devs??) vote for council, or am I mistaken ... could easily be
11 > mistaken here ..
12
13 You are mistaken. Anybody with an @g.o email address gets to vote for
14 Council. The term "developer" doesn't just refer to people who write
15 ebuilds.
16
17 > and appropriate stats would have to be found to
18 > demonstrate that non-ebuild devs were still actively being represented
19 > on the council (possibly even my a single defined non-technical
20 > role?)
21
22 They vote for the Council. Everybody on the Council represents them.
23
24 People seem to think that the Council is solely responsible for a
25 technical role. It isn't. It is responsible for all of the Gentoo
26 projects including those which are non-technical in nature (well, as
27 much as any project in Gentoo can be non-technical).
28
29 > Conceivably this would also work .. a 'Finance' project .. a 'Legal'
30 > project.. if that's the way you want to do it, great. But the flow of
31 > accountability should be clear and transparent. And if there should be a
32 > problem with the council, ever, there should be an independent body (a
33 > Trust frequently or other Board of Directors, non-executive, etc) which
34 > can review and rectify any exclusively council issues, upholding the key
35 > aim of creating a Linux Distro.
36
37 We have an independent body. It is called the developers. They're
38 the ones who elect the Council annually.
39
40 If you're going to have the developers elect an additional body, then
41 just rename that to the Council or whatever and dissolve the one below
42 them. There is no need to have governance bodies stacked like witches
43 hats because we can't deal with the reality that in the end somebody
44 needs to actually make a decision that stands.
47 Rich