From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Groups under the Council or Foundation: the structure & processes thereof
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 14:22:59
1 On 13/11/16 13:59, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 7:52 AM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
3 >> On 13/11/16 12:33, Luca Barbato wrote:
4 >>> On 13/10/2016 01:30, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
5 >>>> TL;DR: move comrel, infra, PR to Foundation. Have strict(er)
6 >>>> application of policies to them in line with their powers.
7 >>> The foundation was made only to collect and redistribute money. In order
8 >>> to do that it was made sort of copyright collector as well (but that was
9 >>> actively blocked by the fact the EU law prevents that).
10 >>>
11 >>> In short and sweet summary:
12 >>>
13 >>> - The Council was made to be the team leading Gentoo, we have elections
14 >>> for that reason.
15 >>> - Recruitment should get new wonderful people as Developers, either by
16 >>> inviting them or by vetting them.
17 >>> - Comrel is offloading from the council the management of conflicts
18 >>> between developers. Incidentally it had to manage also troublemakers,
19 >>> creeps, and other horrible people that the recruitment process failed to
20 >>> recognize as such (luckily happened really few times).
21 >>> - Q/A is offloading from the council the management of day-by-day
22 >>> technical issues and possibly prevent people not so skilled from destroy
23 >>> systems.
24 >>> - Foundation should just care of money on behalf of the council and not
25 >>> interfere with the community.
26 >>>
27 >>> Giving the Foundation more power than act as financial operations is a
28 >>> quite bad idea to me.
29 >>>
30 >> EWW .. forgive my boldness, but that is the Exact Opposite of what needs
31 >> to happen. What you are, in effect, proposing, is that for all intents
32 >> and purposes, you can merge the Function of the foundation INTO council.
33 >> Why keep them separate if the legal body is the Council and it is
34 >> adequately ratified by its developers, but yet not the general community
35 >> and membership at large.
36 > Why would we want people who don't make any significant contributions
37 > to the organization to be voting on how it ought to operate?
38 >
39 > Those who do make significant contributions ought to sign up to be
40 > developers/staff/whatever (you don't need to write ebuilds to be a
41 > developer), and then they get to vote for Council.
42 Yes, but status quo (unless I'm mistaken) is not all contributors (just
43 ebuild devs??) vote for council, or am I mistaken ... could easily be
44 mistaken here .. and appropriate stats would have to be found to
45 demonstrate that non-ebuild devs were still actively being represented
46 on the council (possibly even my a single defined non-technical
47 role?).... another bike-shed .. I apologise ...
48 > Even if we were to put the Foundation on top I don't think that people
49 > who aren't recognized as developers/staff/whatever (don't want to make
50 > this about the label) should be voting for the board.
51 >
52 > I get that letting everybody on the planet vote for how we do things
53 > sounds more open, but the reality is that we need to maintain an
54 > environment where people want to contribute to Gentoo. If Gentoo
55 > doesn't work for the people who contribute the most, then there isn't
56 > going to be much left for the people who just want to use it.
57 >
58 >> This only goes to reinforce the status quo that
59 >> the council is a self-serving self-reinforcing body.... A single-headed
60 >> monster if you will.
61 > The council serves the distro, and is elected by the developer
62 > community. I don't get how it could possibly be considered
63 > self-reinforcing. You could argue that the developer community as a
64 > whole might be, but they're also the ones doing all the work to make
65 > things happen (and people doing a lot of work who aren't in the
66 > developer community should be added as long as they abide by the
67 > standards).
68 [snip]
69 >
70 > Ultimately I think we need to remember why we're here.
71 >
72 > We're not here to run a Foundation.
73 >
74 > We're not here to buy and run servers.
75 >
76 > We're not even here to run an HR department or be on Council.
77 >
78 > We're here to create a Linux distribution. Ultimately all of these
79 > things need to serve that larger goal.
80 ^ This .. this cannot be overstated. It seems we frequently lose sight
81 of this ...
82 > So, I think in some sense it could make sense to just have one overall
83 > body that looks after the needs of the distro, which is elected by the
84 > contributors to the distro, and then everything else falls into
85 > projects/etc around this. We have a project for QA, we have a project
86 > for Infra, and we could have a project for the US Foundation, or a
87 > project to manage a relationship with an umbrella organization like
88 > SPI if we don't want the hassle of running a Foundation ourselves
89 > (which seems to be more of the trend lately, as Debian and Arch now
90 > use SPI instead of running their own Foundation). What you call the
91 > one overall body seems secondary to its purpose of keeping all the
92 > pieces working together smoothly while being accountable to the
93 > contributors.
94 >
95 Conceivably this would also work .. a 'Finance' project .. a 'Legal'
96 project.. if that's the way you want to do it, great. But the flow of
97 accountability should be clear and transparent. And if there should be a
98 problem with the council, ever, there should be an independent body (a
99 Trust frequently or other Board of Directors, non-executive, etc) which
100 can review and rectify any exclusively council issues, upholding the key
101 aim of creating a Linux Distro.