From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Clarify language of GLEP 39
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 03:28:09
1 On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 9:17 PM, Doug Freed <dwfreed@×××.edu> wrote:
2 > GLEP 39 currently states that "[A project] may have one or many leads"
3 > (Specification section, first list, last item). I believe (and a few
4 > others agree) that this language is ambiguous, Some projects have
5 > interpreted this language to mean that a project may have no lead,
6 > while others believe the language is to be interpreted as meaning that
7 > projects must have at least one lead. Therefore, I request that the
8 > Council clarify the language of GLEP 39 to remove this ambiguity. I
9 > offer up the following choices as possible replacements (though feel
10 > free to come up with your own):
11 >
12 > "It must have at least one lead, and may have many leads. The leads
13 > are selected by the members of the project. This selection must occur
14 > at least once every 12 months, and may occur at any time."
15 >
16 > OR (if the Council wishes to allow no lead as an option)
17 >
18 > "It may have no lead, one lead, or many leads, and the leads are
19 > selected by the members of the project. This selection must occur at
20 > least once every 12 months, and may occur at any time."
23 I'll let dilfridge add it to the next agenda.
24
25 In case it is useful, this topic was discussed [1,2], but this
26 particular point was not the subject of a vote. I do note that the
27 wiki now lists the date of the last election on the project template,
28 per the decision (thanks!).
29
30 Personally, I think that leads can be helpful, but I don't see a need
31 to force a team to elect one just for the sake of process. I do think
32 that if a project is without a lead any project member can call for an
33 election (obviously not repeatedly if the project members decide not
34 to have one).
35
36 Besides, that leaves us with what to do about the failure to elect a
37 lead. If a team is working well together it seems silly to force it
38 to disband simply because they didn't elect a lead. My feeling is
39 that necessity is the mother of invention, and if a team needs
40 somebody to handle disputes they'll tend to pick one, and likewise if
41 somebody wants to step up and drive the project in some direction
42 they'll probably throw the hat in the ring. If a project is dead then
43 it should be cleaned up, of course, unless it is useful simply has an
44 administrative device (parent project to organize subprojects, useful
45 way to group packages, etc).
46
47 In any case, discussion is welcome before the next Council meeting.
48
49 1 - https://projects.gentoo.org/council/meeting-logs/20150913-summary.txt
50 2 - https://projects.gentoo.org/council/meeting-logs/20150913.txt
53 Rich