From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 11:17:07
1 On 13/10/16 12:12, M. J. Everitt wrote:
2 > On 12/10/16 13:35, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
3 >> NP-Hardass wrote:
4 >>> On 10/11/2016 06:22 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
5 >>>> Again in a court, if policies and procedures are not followed, a
6 >>>> person cannot
7 >>>> be prosecuted, nor can that ruling withstand.
8 >>> Then go to council and appeal. In a court, if policies and procedures
9 >>> aren't followed, it is on the defendant to bring suit against the
10 >>> plaintiff to assert that their rights were violated. Go file your
11 >>> appeal already...
12 >> NeddySeagoon and Nick Vinson already pointed this out, but let me
13 >> repeat this again: ComRel does not operate like a court. Someone who
14 >> is subject to ComRel punishment does not get to see the evidence or
15 >> learn who is the accuser.
16 >>
17 >> Even if that person later appeals to Council, there is an imbalance.
18 >> There is a "prosecution" (ComRel) and neutral "judges" (Council) but
19 >> not any kind of defense.
20 >>
21 >> There may be good reasons for all of that, but let's not pretend that
22 >> this is like a court in any way.
23 > <snip>
24 >
25 > I think Chi-Thanh has stumbled upon the crux of the problem as perceived
26 > by a few people in this thread. It's not that there is so much a failure
27 > in procedure or policy .. its the implementation and basic conceptual aims.
28 >
29 > So, how many readers would feel 'better' about the situation if the
30 > process was actually more Balanced .. that there was some form of
31 > 'defence' as Chi puts it. I'm not saying I have any idea how this may be
32 > implemented, but from what I've seen, there hasn't even been any
33 > opportunity *whatsoever* for the accused to explain or (attempt to)
34 > justify their actions. This does give the impression that the process is
35 > broken, as it acts in a totally one-sided way, and I can easily see that
36 > I, too, wouldn't want to be caught on the wrong side of it, as everybody
37 > points out, there is no ultimate recourse once things have gone 'over
38 > the edge'.
39 >
40 > I think there is definitely merit in some form of 'mediation' project or
41 > sub-project or some-such function in Gentoo, that can act to resolve
42 > interpersonal conflicts that may occur from cultural and/or language
43 > differences between people, before they need referral to ComRel. Again,
44 > no particular ideas on how/where this should reside or be implemented,
45 > just that it might serve to to early resolution before problems
46 > escalate. Thus not requiring ComRel to get involved, or severe actions
47 > to be taken in lieu of any other methods being available/tried.
48 >
49 > Apologies for the mangled articulation ... looks like I need a coffee .. :P
50 >
51 Random follow-up thought ..
52
53 How about appeals called the accused to answer to Council as well as
54 ComRel .. would that ever work!?
55
56 [no, don't go flaming me down on this one .. !]