From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo, GitHub, and the Social Contract
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 11:55:15
1 On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 1:37 AM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
2 <jmbsvicetto@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Mon, 16 Feb 2015, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >
5 >> An area that always bothered me was stage3 building, but I think our
6 >> catalyst docs have improved. I don't know if following the wiki guide
7 >> leads to a stage3 identical to our published one or not...
8 >
9 > Rich, please make an effort to ask the correct people before making such
10 > comments that can be misread as meaning that the RelEng team is building
11 > stages "in secret" or questioning how anyone can be certain about what is
12 > built.
13
14 The only comments I made were:
15 1. IN THE PAST I was concerned about stage3 building.
16 2. Things have improved.
17 3. I am unsure if following the wiki guide leads to a stage3
18 identical to our published one or not.
19
20 All three remain just as true after your comments. :) I'm certainly
21 interested in clarification on the last one. It isn't actually enough
22 to publish a repo full of files - you also have to document how you
23 use them. That may very well already be documented in the Catalyst
24 wiki page.
25
26 As far as "misreading" goes - people will read what they want to read
27 into just about anything that anybody says. I try to clearly state
28 what I mean, and I'm sure I do it imperfectly. If somebody isn't sure
29 what I mean, they're more than welcome to talk to me about it.
32 Rich