From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo, GitHub, and the Social Contract
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 06:37:49
1 On Mon, 16 Feb 2015, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 10:26 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Scripts no one can read except the team (even after being asked to
6 >> publish them) is by definition propriety software. It was used to
7 >> develop and package emul-linux-x86-* packages until this very day.
8 >>
9 >> No one cared, at any time. I just find this a bit confusing, because of
10 >> the sudden bikeshed about github which IS already widely used in gentoo
11 >> (whether everyone likes it or not).
12 >
13 > I'm not sure how many people noticed - certainly nobody made a big
14 > complaint about it. Now that you bring it up I agree that this should
15 > be corrected, though at least in this case it is a bit of a moot point
16 > as those packages are largely obsolete now.
17
18 Some of the scripts used are hosted in several public repositories (like
19 the qa-scripts). Almost all of the others are part of the infra
20 configuration repositories.
21 We've shared some of the scripts already and I'm sure all of us would
22 prefer to share all the others - we just need to go over them and make
23 sure we split any authentication out of them.
24
25 > An area that always bothered me was stage3 building, but I think our
26 > catalyst docs have improved. I don't know if following the wiki guide
27 > leads to a stage3 identical to our published one or not, but if not
28 > that would be an example of a similar situation that should be fixed.
29
30 Rich, please make an effort to ask the correct people before making such
31 comments that can be misread as meaning that the RelEng team is building
32 stages "in secret" or questioning how anyone can be certain about what is
33 built.
34 Both the catalyst repository[1] containing catalyst code and the releng
35 repository[2] containing both the official stages and helper scripts used
36 for stage building are available through gogo.
37
38 [1] - git://git.overlays.gentoo.org/proj/catalyst.git
39 [2] - git://git.overlays.gentoo.org/proj/releng.git
40
41 Regards,
42 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
43 Gentoo Developer