From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo, GitHub, and the Social Contract
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 11:19:07
1 On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 10:26 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Scripts no one can read except the team (even after being asked to
4 > publish them) is by definition propriety software. It was used to
5 > develop and package emul-linux-x86-* packages until this very day.
6 >
7 > No one cared, at any time. I just find this a bit confusing, because of
8 > the sudden bikeshed about github which IS already widely used in gentoo
9 > (whether everyone likes it or not).
10
11 I'm not sure how many people noticed - certainly nobody made a big
12 complaint about it. Now that you bring it up I agree that this should
13 be corrected, though at least in this case it is a bit of a moot point
14 as those packages are largely obsolete now.
15
16 An area that always bothered me was stage3 building, but I think our
17 catalyst docs have improved. I don't know if following the wiki guide
18 leads to a stage3 identical to our published one or not, but if not
19 that would be an example of a similar situation that should be fixed.
22 > Git is distributed, so I do not see a single reason to SOLELY depend on
23 > github. I'm not sure why people confuse this. If we don't, then ~95% of
24 > this discussion becomes obsolete.
27 I don't think anybody is proposing that we SOLELY depend on github.
28 We can always keep an eye on it lest that become the case. I'd much
29 rather see something hosted on Gentoo infra using FOSS take this role.
32 Rich