From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo, GitHub, and the Social Contract
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 03:27:07
1 Rich Freeman:
2 > On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 9:42 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Andreas K. Huettel:
4 >>>
5 >>> * The Gentoo Social Contract states [1]:
6 >>> "Gentoo will never depend upon a piece of software or metadata unless it
7 >>> conforms to the GNU General Public License, the GNU Lesser General Public
8 >>> License, the Creative Commons - Attribution/Share Alike or some other license
9 >>> approved by the Open Source Initiative (OSI)."
10 >>>
11 >>
12 >> This has already been violated numerous times, including the development
13 >> of emul-linux-x86-* packages.
16 > A principle being violated in the past isn't a good reason to simply
17 > abandon it. Principles like this one are always going to be hard to
18 > hit 100%, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't do the best we can.
19 >
20 > That said, I don't really see how the 32-bit packages violate this.
21 > If they happen to include non-FOSS that really isn't GENTOO depending
22 > on them. I don't think anything essential in Gentoo depends on any
23 > non-FOSS components of any packages in the tree. Having non-stuff in
24 > the tree isn't the same as depending on them. Neither is having a
25 > random package that depends on a non-free package - we're talking
26 > about GENTOO depending on something, not a random package in the tree.
27 >
28 > If some project wanted to ONLY accept contributions via pull requests
29 > on github, then I could start seeing some concern.
32 Scripts no one can read except the team (even after being asked to
33 publish them) is by definition propriety software. It was used to
34 develop and package emul-linux-x86-* packages until this very day.
35
36 No one cared, at any time. I just find this a bit confusing, because of
37 the sudden bikeshed about github which IS already widely used in gentoo
38 (whether everyone likes it or not).
39
40 Git is distributed, so I do not see a single reason to SOLELY depend on
41 github. I'm not sure why people confuse this. If we don't, then ~95% of
42 this discussion becomes obsolete.