From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo, GitHub, and the Social Contract
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 04:12:17
1 On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 9:42 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > Andreas K. Huettel:
3 >>
4 >> * The Gentoo Social Contract states [1]:
5 >> "Gentoo will never depend upon a piece of software or metadata unless it
6 >> conforms to the GNU General Public License, the GNU Lesser General Public
7 >> License, the Creative Commons - Attribution/Share Alike or some other license
8 >> approved by the Open Source Initiative (OSI)."
11 > This has already been violated numerous times, including the development
12 > of emul-linux-x86-* packages.
15 A principle being violated in the past isn't a good reason to simply
16 abandon it. Principles like this one are always going to be hard to
17 hit 100%, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't do the best we can.
18
19 That said, I don't really see how the 32-bit packages violate this.
20 If they happen to include non-FOSS that really isn't GENTOO depending
21 on them. I don't think anything essential in Gentoo depends on any
22 non-FOSS components of any packages in the tree. Having non-stuff in
23 the tree isn't the same as depending on them. Neither is having a
24 random package that depends on a non-free package - we're talking
25 about GENTOO depending on something, not a random package in the tree.
26
27 If some project wanted to ONLY accept contributions via pull requests
28 on github, then I could start seeing some concern.
31 Rich