From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 01:21:56
1 On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 7:58 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 5:41:45 PM EST Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >
5 >> and in the other the person impacted has stated on the
6 >> list that they do not believe that the Council would reverse the
7 >> Comrel decisions, though they have not actually appealed.
8 >
9 > What happens after appeal?
10 > What happens if an appeal is successful?
11 > Will there be animosity from Comrel if their decision is overturned?
12 > Is comrel restricted from taking an further action against said individual?
13 > Would people in Comrel be punished and face their own Comrel action for
14 > breaching Comrel policies?
15 >
16 > Simply saying appeal to council shows a lack of thinking out the entire
17 > process after the fact. Also shows a lack of understand of the potential crap
18 > storm this could potentially create.
21 This is silly. You're suggesting that Comrel is out to mount some
22 kind of coup. At the very least it betrays a lack of understanding
23 about how things work since about the only thing Comrel can actually
24 do is submit bugs for Infra to actually implement.
25
26 Sure, if the 10-20 people in the most trusted positions in the
27 community all decided to boot everybody out we probably could. I'm
28 not quite sure why anybody would think that we'd want to. I'm sure
29 the Trustees could empty the bank accounts and run, but it would be
30 scant compensation for all the hours they've put in.
31
32 Ultimately the reason all of these different projects/etc exist is to
33 make the distro work. People don't join Comrel because they're out to
34 destroy Gentoo. They join Comrel to do the necessary work of dealing
35 with people who cause trouble, ideally by helping them to stop, but if
36 necessary removing them if they do not.
37
38 If somebody appeals a decision to the Council, and the Council
39 overturns the decision, then the outcome is whatever the Council
40 decides it ought to be. That's the job of the Council, not to
41 micromanage every decision made in every project, but to deal with
42 conflict and escalations. If the Council decides that somebody can
43 stay/join/etc then they can. I don't really anticipate any arguing
44 over the matter because ultimately that's why we elect the Council,
45 and the nature of these things tends to put people on the Council who
46 everybody trusts. And of course if somebody is going around defying
47 Council decisions that is a serious matter that needs to be dealt
48 with.
51 Rich