From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] arches.desc & GLEP 72 (was: Re: [gentoo-project] Items for Council Agenda, May 14)
Date: Sun, 07 May 2017 02:54:15
1 On Sat, 06 May 2017 22:23:01 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Well, I pulled the two terms that are tradidionally used for ~arch...
6 > > "testing" and "unstable". Testing implied to me that a transition is taking
7 > > place, so that went to the "mixed state".
8 >
9 > I should point out that those terms are frequently used interchangeably,
10 > and adding disjoint meanings to them is least misleading. Perhaps a name
11 > like 'transitional' for the middle state would be better?
12
13 If I was to compromise, I think:
14
15 [ 'strict', 'transitional', 'loose', 'ignore' ]
16
17 Would be slightly more descriptive for arches.desc than
18
19 [ 'stable', 'testing', 'unstable', 'broken' ]
22 Though, granted, the description here for "Unstable" I find confusing
23 as-is.
26 <<
27
28 unstable
29
30 When a profile of an architecture is tested, then repoman treats "arch"
31 as an error and aborts. Consistency is only tested for "~arch".
35 I find that a bit weird, and at odds with what I thought this was being
36 developed for, as I had the impression that "arch" was "EDONTCARE" for
37 "unstable".
38
39 And so I'd expected the descriptive behaviour to be more like "testing".
40
41 As is, that description would currently create significant discouragement
42 for people to test arches with that flag at all, due to the prevalence
43 of intermixed "arch" and "~arch" in those dists.