From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] arches.desc & GLEP 72 (was: Re: [gentoo-project] Items for Council Agenda, May 14)
Date: Sat, 06 May 2017 20:23:33
1 On sob, 2017-05-06 at 19:36 +0200, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Am Samstag, 6. Mai 2017, 18:35:08 CEST schrieb Michał Górny:
3 > >
4 > > > An implementation is still missing though.
5 > >
6 > > ...and a rationale section to describe why you did the things this way.
7 >
8 > Well, that's more or less the Motivation section. Should I rename it?
9
10 No. Motivation answers the question 'what is the problem being solved?',
11 and in your case it serves that purpose well. Rationale is 'why did I
12 choose this specific solution?' -- e.g. choice of file format, keywords
13 and basically answers to every useful question that has been raised.
14
15 > > 2. I can't say I like using magical keywords like 'testing'
16 > > and 'unstable'; they're going to be confusing long-term (compare:
17 > > the mess with stable/exp/dev for profiles). But I don't have a very good
18 > > idea how to it better right now.
19 >
20 > Well, I pulled the two terms that are tradidionally used for ~arch...
21 > "testing" and "unstable". Testing implied to me that a transition is taking
22 > place, so that went to the "mixed state".
23
24 I should point out that those terms are frequently used interchangeably,
25 and adding disjoint meanings to them is least misleading. Perhaps a name
26 like 'transitional' for the middle state would be better?
27
28 > There's also Kent's proposal where some more indirection is introduced (see
29 > the discussion threads). It more or less achives the same with even more
30 > flexibility. I dont like it so much because I want to keep things simple.
31
32 Yes, we don't need yet another python.eclass.
33
34 > > 3. What is the use case for 'broken'? Are we ever going to use that?
35 >
36 > None that I know of. I only added it because it was suggested on the list (and
37 > because it's simple to define and implement).
38
39 Well, I was mostly asking because:
40
41 a. without that, there would be no reason to repeat that dev/exp repoman
42 magic in all three definitions,
43
44 b. I fail to see any reason to have stable/exp/dev profile split for
45 arch where even the most basic package integrity is not guaranteed. It's
46 like having repoman check the profiles for nothing...
49 Best regards,
50 Michał Górny