From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] pre-GLEP: Gentoo General Resolution
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2018 21:21:06
1 On 28/06/18 18:24, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 12:14 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >> a. the Council decision in question is final (i.e. a general
4 >> resolution can not be used to bypass the Council),
5 > One question that this brings up in my mind is the duration of these
6 > decisions, because Council decisions are never really final. The
7 > Council can override its own decisions, or the decision of a prior
8 > Council.
9 >
10 > Presumably you wouldn't want the current Council to be able to
11 > override a GR, but how about a subsequent one? A lot of decisions are
12 > made on the basis of some context that could change.
13 >
14 > To use your example, suppose there is a GR to make OpenRC the default
15 > service manager. Great. What happens in 10 years when it makes sense
16 > to make some new service manager the default? Normally such a
17 > decision wouldn't even require a Council vote, but if the previous GR
18 > has no expiration, then does that mean that another GR is required to
19 > make a decision that may not be as controversial in the future?
20 >
21 > To use a different example, consider GLEP 39. Many consider GLEP 39
22 > to be special and one that the Council cannot modify, but on the flip
23 > side there is currently no real defined process for changing it.
24 > (Perhaps GRs will become such a mechanism.) The result is that
25 > sometimes changes that might make sense don't really get considered
26 > because nobody feels empowered to make it happen.
27 >
28 > In any case, my point is mainly that the GR GLEP ought to indicate one
29 > way or another how a GR can be modified. Presumably a GR can always
30 > be used to modify a previous GR. However, do we want to relax things
31 > further, such as by allowing GRs to be overriden by Council if there
32 > has been a Council election in the interim?
33 >
34 > My last comment is more philosophical. I do support the concept
35 > behind this, but I do want to note that it is a lot easier to vote for
36 > something to happen than to actually make it happen. If devs
37 > consistently vote for Council members who support position A, but then
38 > vote via GR to impose position NOT A, it creates a bit of
39 > organizational schizophrenia as there really is no executive process
40 > to appeal council decisions and thus you end up tasking people to
41 > execute a policy they don't actually agree with, as volunteers. The
42 > likely result will be half-hearted at best, even if no outright
43 > defiance takes place. So, this is a mechanism that will need to be
44 > used carefully, but I think having it available as a recourse is
45 > better than not having it available.
46 >
47 I think its about having a mechanism *to* do something, rather than
48 necessarily have to use it. A bit like ComRel's existence, etc .. its
49 there as a Last Resort when all other methods have failed, rather than a
50 go-to method for causing discourse. If any such mechanism is being used
51 regularly (or abused) then the status quo needs re-evaluating ...