From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] pre-GLEP: Gentoo General Resolution
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2018 17:24:41
1 On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 12:14 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > a. the Council decision in question is final (i.e. a general
4 > resolution can not be used to bypass the Council),
5
6 One question that this brings up in my mind is the duration of these
7 decisions, because Council decisions are never really final. The
8 Council can override its own decisions, or the decision of a prior
9 Council.
10
11 Presumably you wouldn't want the current Council to be able to
12 override a GR, but how about a subsequent one? A lot of decisions are
13 made on the basis of some context that could change.
14
15 To use your example, suppose there is a GR to make OpenRC the default
16 service manager. Great. What happens in 10 years when it makes sense
17 to make some new service manager the default? Normally such a
18 decision wouldn't even require a Council vote, but if the previous GR
19 has no expiration, then does that mean that another GR is required to
20 make a decision that may not be as controversial in the future?
21
22 To use a different example, consider GLEP 39. Many consider GLEP 39
23 to be special and one that the Council cannot modify, but on the flip
24 side there is currently no real defined process for changing it.
25 (Perhaps GRs will become such a mechanism.) The result is that
26 sometimes changes that might make sense don't really get considered
27 because nobody feels empowered to make it happen.
28
29 In any case, my point is mainly that the GR GLEP ought to indicate one
30 way or another how a GR can be modified. Presumably a GR can always
31 be used to modify a previous GR. However, do we want to relax things
32 further, such as by allowing GRs to be overriden by Council if there
33 has been a Council election in the interim?
34
35 My last comment is more philosophical. I do support the concept
36 behind this, but I do want to note that it is a lot easier to vote for
37 something to happen than to actually make it happen. If devs
38 consistently vote for Council members who support position A, but then
39 vote via GR to impose position NOT A, it creates a bit of
40 organizational schizophrenia as there really is no executive process
41 to appeal council decisions and thus you end up tasking people to
42 execute a policy they don't actually agree with, as volunteers. The
43 likely result will be half-hearted at best, even if no outright
44 defiance takes place. So, this is a mechanism that will need to be
45 used carefully, but I think having it available as a recourse is
46 better than not having it available.
49 Rich