From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] pre-GLEP: Gentoo General Resolution
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2018 20:33:01
1 W dniu czw, 28.06.2018 o godzinie 13∶24 -0400, użytkownik Rich Freeman
2 napisał:
3 > On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 12:14 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > a. the Council decision in question is final (i.e. a general
6 > > resolution can not be used to bypass the Council),
7 >
8 > One question that this brings up in my mind is the duration of these
9 > decisions, because Council decisions are never really final. The
10 > Council can override its own decisions, or the decision of a prior
11 > Council.
12
13 The meaning of this is explained in the parentheses, so please stop
14 trying to bend it. The only thing it means is that you can't call a GR
15 to pass a motion that didn't go through the Council vote yet.
18 > Presumably you wouldn't want the current Council to be able to
19 > override a GR, but how about a subsequent one? A lot of decisions are
20 > made on the basis of some context that could change.
21
22 There's no explicit necessity to impose additional restrictions
23 on further Council actions. Trying to define them correctly would make
24 the GLEP unnecessarily complex, not to mention it'd probably end up
25 being imperfect. Instead, think of GR as a penalty card.
26
27 When Council makes an apparently bad decision, the developers can give
28 it a yellow card. The Council is still in the game and can technically
29 can do the same thing again -- however, it has been given an explicit
30 warning, so I don't think we really need to consider it carelessly
31 passing the same motion again.
32
33 What can happen (and shouldn't be blocked) is that the Council
34 reconsiders, gathers wider feedback and passes a different motion that's
35 more suitable to developers. Or the same or future Council reconsiders
36 this at some point in the future.
37
38 Of course, this means that technically Council could ignore the GR
39 and pass the same motion again. However, if that actually happens,
40 they can expect immediate GR on disbanding the Council.
43 > To use your example, suppose there is a GR to make OpenRC the default
44 > service manager. Great. What happens in 10 years when it makes sense
45 > to make some new service manager the default? Normally such a
46 > decision wouldn't even require a Council vote, but if the previous GR
47 > has no expiration, then does that mean that another GR is required to
48 > make a decision that may not be as controversial in the future?
49
50 As said above, the same or future Council can pass the same or similar
51 motion at any point in the future.
54 > To use a different example, consider GLEP 39. Many consider GLEP 39
55 > to be special and one that the Council cannot modify, but on the flip
56 > side there is currently no real defined process for changing it.
57 > (Perhaps GRs will become such a mechanism.) The result is that
58 > sometimes changes that might make sense don't really get considered
59 > because nobody feels empowered to make it happen.
60
61 No. The GLEP repeats that multiple times: GR is not a generic voting
62 mechanism but a failsafe. I'd say calling for a global developer vote
63 is within Council's regular powers, and it's entirely outside the scope
64 of this GLEP.
65
66 > In any case, my point is mainly that the GR GLEP ought to indicate one
67 > way or another how a GR can be modified. Presumably a GR can always
68 > be used to modify a previous GR. However, do we want to relax things
69 > further, such as by allowing GRs to be overriden by Council if there
70 > has been a Council election in the interim?
71
72 It really seems that you didn't understand the GLEP, and instead started
73 processing with your own vision of GR that's not related to my proposal.
76 Best regards,
77 Michał Górny