From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 21:39:38
1 On 2016.11.12 00:22, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 6:38 PM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 [snip stuff we are largely agreed on]
7 > > Why just have the comrel lead approved by Council why not all comrel
8 > > appointments?
11 > That really reeks of micromanagement to me.
12
13 How often does the comrel membership change?
14 Would it be a burden on either council or comrel?
15 If it was, that indicates a project membership churn issue, which needs to
16 be dealt with separately. Its another indicator that all is not well.
17
18 > We don't have Council
19 > approve individual appointments in any team currently, and the Comrel
20 > lead already has the power to add/remove anybody from the team as
21 > needed.
22
23 ... and from Gentoo.
24
25 Its about comrel as a body and confidence in the exercise of its authority,
26 and confidence in council to exercise control of comrel.
27 At present comrel acts alone, no elected body has any visibility,
28 never mind any control or authority but that's old ground now.
29
30 Comrel is special ... it operates in secrecy. It needs the a little extra
31 oversight to provide the community with confidence that all is well.
32 That's the price of secrecy.
33
34 [snip]
35
36 > As far as auditing cases in some ways goes, it is probably a good
37 > idea.
38
39 Without an audit, on what basis would council confirm any comrel
40 appointments, there being no public information to make an informed
41 decision?
42
43 >It is also more result-oriented and less process-oriented. I'd
44 > rather see the Council looking at what Comrel is doing, than focusing
45 > as much on who is doing it.
46
47 Yes. Reaching the right result is more important than process being
48 followed. Its still important it identify and fix process problems.
49 Personally, I would hate to see appeals succeed on a technicality.
52 > --
53 > Rich
58 We appear to have agreed that ...
59 a) regular anonymised comrel stats
60 b) advertisement of comrel vacancies
61 c) council endorsement of comrel appointments
62 d) council endorsement/appointment of comrel lead.
63 e) council audits of comrel to inform c) and d)
64 are worth taking forward.
65
66 Which bits of this need a GLEP?
67