From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 00:22:26
1 On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 6:38 PM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > This is all about perceptions, not processes.
4
5 Great. Whose perception needs changing? Besides the ~5 people
6 replying in this list?
9 > Why just have the comrel lead approved by Council why not all comrel
10 > appointments?
13 That really reeks of micromanagement to me. We don't have Council
14 approve individual appointments in any team currently, and the Comrel
15 lead already has the power to add/remove anybody from the team as
16 needed.
17
18 > Comrel vacancies could be advertised on the ML
19
20 That makes sense.
21
22 > Anonymous stats could serve two purposes. It could show that
23 > comrel are still active and if all is well, show that the case load
24 > is not increasing. A trend of increasing or static caseload
25 > would be grounds for council to look inside comrel to see that
26 > all is well.
27
28 Well, it seems fairly obvious that all is not well already, the
29 problem is that there aren't a lot of great solutions for this, as
30 Comrel case queues look like bug queues just about anywhere in Gentoo.
31
32 > Gentoo has a small number of projects that cannot be allowed
33 > to become inactive. Comrel is one of these.
34 > We have already seen what happens when trustees becomes
35 > inactive and we have had a case of a snap council election
36 > after a 'failure to meet'.
37
38 I'll just note that snap council elections after a failure to meet is
39 a purely self-imposed problem.
40
41 It seems like Trustees failed to have a quorum for a few meetings in
42 the last year and it wasn't a big deal, because for whatever reason we
43 don't choose to re-elect them all whenever that happens, probably
44 because the election team would quit if we did. :)
45
46 The whole "slacker" and failure to show up system we have with the
47 Council really just measures whether Council members manage to connect
48 to IRC from their phones at a scheduled time each month. It is a
49 pretty poor way to assess activity, and IMO showing up to Council
50 meetings is probably about the least important thing Council members
51 should be doing.
52
53 But, I've ranted on that topic plenty of times already...
54
55 As far as auditing cases in some ways goes, it is probably a good
56 idea. It is also more result-oriented and less process-oriented. I'd
57 rather see the Council looking at what Comrel is doing, than focusing
58 as much on who is doing it.
61 Rich