From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 23:38:18
1 On 2016.11.10 12:12, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 6:49 AM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4
5 > And if you have other ideas for improvements you're welcome to post
6 > them. My understanding is that you oppose most of the proposals
7 > around making Comrel cases public which seems to be what those who are
8 > most who are calling for change want.
9 >
10 > --
11 > Rich
14 Rich,
15
16 Lets split this into two parts. Comrel processes, the how they do what they
17 do and perceptions of comrel.
18
19 This is all about perceptions, not processes. Cynics may view it as
20 rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic or 'spin doctoring'. Processes
21 can come later, if needed.
22
23 A more user friendly, more frequently in the public eye, face on comrel
24 will help lessen the fallout when visible actions are taken.
25
26 Lets build on what we have already agreed is a start. To recap you words.
27
28 > 1. Have the Comrel lead approved by Council in the same manner that
29 > QA is, and the ability for Council to appoint interim leads when a
30 > confirmed lead doesn't exist.
31 > 2. Ask Comrel to continue to publish anonymous stats on their
32 > activity level in general.
33
34 Why just have the comrel lead approved by Council why not all comrel
35 appointments?
36
37 That lets everyone know that comrel are still around and the membership
38 is changing. Its also shows a little oversight by council, who are the elected
39 body that delegated things to comrel in the first place. That builds
40 confidence and every little helps.
41
42 Comrel vacancies could be advertised on the ML and appointments
43 confirmed (by council) the same way. Raising awareness and the
44 perception of openness. That's not to say applications could not be
45 encouraged. It helps to gauge interest in comrel. (Yes I know, its not
46 a nice job).
47 There might even be the odd suitable application that the present
48 invitation only system would not have found.
49
50 None of this would change the present selection system. It would
51 just raise awareness and confidence that it was in progress.
52 Its just business as usual with more publicity. Almost like council
53 and trustee elections. I don't believe elections to comrel would be
54 useful but its as much of that process as can be usefully adopted.
55
56 Anonymous stats could serve two purposes. It could show that
57 comrel are still active and if all is well, show that the case load
58 is not increasing. A trend of increasing or static caseload
59 would be grounds for council to look inside comrel to see that
60 all is well.
61
62 Gentoo has a small number of projects that cannot be allowed
63 to become inactive. Comrel is one of these.
64 We have already seen what happens when trustees becomes
65 inactive and we have had a case of a snap council election
66 after a 'failure to meet'.
67
68 None of it is a lot of work, neither is it invasive of the
69 confidentiality that we both believe comrel require.
70
71 On what basis would council confirm the lead and/or comrel
72 members?
73
74 There would need to be an audit of the workings of comrel,
75 or how would council know they were doing a good job
76 to make that confirmation?
77
78 We then have the required oversight from an elected body.
79 That may be seen as a loss of confidentiality but if council
80 can be trusted with appeals, its really a non issue.
83 Regards,
84
85 Roy Bamford
86 (Neddyseagoon) a member of