From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 12:13:00
1 On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 6:49 AM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 2016.11.09 22:41, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I'll agree that the current system relies on people who feel that
5 >> Comrel isn't doing a good job to appeal their cases to the Council. I
6 >> completely support making changes to have more oversight of what is
7 >> going on.
8 >
9 > Nobody knows if comrel are doing a good job or not. That's the core
10 > issue. Appeals are far too late in the process and too infrequent to
11 > determine that. Its the community that need to be convinced too,
12 > not council nor the body of developers.
13
14 I've yet to see evidence that "the community" thinks that there is a
15 problem. However, while maintaining confidentiality (which you've
16 said you believe is necessary) ultimately the confidence is going to
17 need to come from the oversight of elected bodies.
18
19 > Oversight is something that is exercised continuously/frequently, not
20 > after the event. It's oversight that ensures that decisions when they
21 > are reached are supported rather than questioned by the community
22
23 As far as I can tell Comrel decisions ARE supported by the community,
24 notwithstanding the maybe half-dozen people posting in threads like
25 these.
26
27 The number of people coming forward with concerns is probably smaller
28 than Comrel itself.
31 >> So, while I think some steps to have a bit more oversight are
32 >> warranted, I'm really not expecting it to lead to any drastic
33 >> revelations. It isn't like Comrel is detaining people in Gitmo. If
34 >> there was some trend of inappropriate action I'm pretty sure those
35 >> impacted would find a way to make their concerns known.
36 >
37 > They would just not apply to become Gentoo devs. Maybe start a
38 > project of their own ...
39 > Community here, includes anyone who contributes to Gentoo.
40 > I don't share your confidence that many of them would make their
41 > concerns known, they would just go away ... path of least
42 > resistance.
43
44 Well, if they are in fact violating the CoC then that is best for all
45 involved. In any case, we have anonymous stats on the degree of
46 comrel action, and my understanding is that before the reporting
47 period that they cover Comrel was largely inactive.
48
49 There isn't a lot of room for abuse when Comrel is only taking actions
50 a handful of times. Certainly I don't see Gentoo forks popping up
51 everywhere.
52
53 > With the mergers, that confidence has been eroded.
54
55 Honestly, I think this is something you need to substantiate.
56
57 And if you have other ideas for improvements you're welcome to post
58 them. My understanding is that you oppose most of the proposals
59 around making Comrel cases public which seems to be what those who are
60 most who are calling for change want.
63 Rich