From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 22:38:15
1 On 2016.11.10 12:12, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 6:49 AM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > > On 2016.11.09 22:41, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > >>
6 > >> I'll agree that the current system relies on people who feel that
7 > >> Comrel isn't doing a good job to appeal their cases to the Council.
8 > I
9 > >> completely support making changes to have more oversight of what is
10 > >> going on.
11 > >
12 > > Nobody knows if comrel are doing a good job or not. That's the core
13 > > issue. Appeals are far too late in the process and too infrequent to
14 > > determine that. Its the community that need to be convinced too,
15 > > not council nor the body of developers.
16 >
17 > I've yet to see evidence that "the community" thinks that there is a
18 > problem. However, while maintaining confidentiality (which you've
19 > said you believe is necessary) ultimately the confidence is going to
20 > need to come from the oversight of elected bodies.
21
22 Agreed.
25 > > Oversight is something that is exercised continuously/frequently,
26 > not
27 > > after the event. It's oversight that ensures that decisions when
28 > they
29 > > are reached are supported rather than questioned by the community
30 >
31 > As far as I can tell Comrel decisions ARE supported by the community,
32 > notwithstanding the maybe half-dozen people posting in threads like
33 > these.
34
35 The community falls into several groups. Those who care enough to post.
36 Those who don't care until they get involved with comrel and those
37 indirectly affected by comrel actions that find another project to support
38 instead of Gentoo. The last two groups cannot be quantified.
39
40 I'm sure the largest group by far, is the don't cares.
41
42 For the avoidance of doubt, community includes users that do not yet
43 contribute back to the Project.
46 > The number of people coming forward with concerns is probably smaller
47 > than Comrel itself.
48 >
49 That's probably true. Its always thus in volunteer organisations.
50 You only ever see the tip of the iceberg.
51
52 > >>
53 > >> So, while I think some steps to have a bit more oversight are
54 > >> warranted, I'm really not expecting it to lead to any drastic
55 > >> revelations. It isn't like Comrel is detaining people in Gitmo.
56 > If
57 > >> there was some trend of inappropriate action I'm pretty sure those
58 > >> impacted would find a way to make their concerns known.
59 > >
60 Inappropriate action includes inaction for any reason.
61 I partly agree. Developers would talk to council. Individuals less
62 familiar with Gentoo may see lack of response as a sign of Gentoos
63 disinterest.
64
65 Let me digress into a personal anecdote. I have needed to employ a
66 number of contractors for household maintenance over the years.
67 One of them did an outstandingly bad job for me nearly 40 years ago.
68 I still remember their name and address. I told friends and work
69 colleges all about it too. I've forgotten contractors from that time that
70 did good jobs. I don't want to see Gentoo discussed and
71 remembered for reasons like that.
72
73 > > They would just not apply to become Gentoo devs. Maybe start a
74 > > project of their own ...
75 > > Community here, includes anyone who contributes to Gentoo.
76 > > I don't share your confidence that many of them would make their
77 > > concerns known, they would just go away ... path of least
78 > > resistance.
79 >
80 > Well, if they are in fact violating the CoC then that is best for all
81 > involved.
82 I don't follow. Why would community members writing to comrel
83 be violating the CoC?
84
85 > In any case, we have anonymous stats on the degree of
86 > comrel action, and my understanding is that before the reporting
87 > period that they cover Comrel was largely inactive.
88
89 So emails went unanswered and users appeared to be ignored for this
90 period?
91 Comrel, like council, trustees, infra, security, QA et al. are all projects
92 that cannot be permitted to become inactive.
95 > There isn't a lot of room for abuse when Comrel is only taking actions
96 > a handful of times. Certainly I don't see Gentoo forks popping up
97 > everywhere.
98 >
99 > > With the mergers, that confidence has been eroded.
100 >
101 > Honestly, I think this is something you need to substantiate.
102 >
103 > And if you have other ideas for improvements you're welcome to post
104 > them. My understanding is that you oppose most of the proposals
105 > around making Comrel cases public which seems to be what those who are
106 > most who are calling for change want.
107
108 This deserves a post of its own but I don't think we are far apart.
109 We are agreed that making Comrel cases public is not the way ahead.
110 That would only swap one set of problems for another.
113 > --
114 > Rich
118 Regards,
119