From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Foundation membership and who can join
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 12:08:11
1 On 14/10/16 04:47 AM, Roy Bamford wrote:
2 > On 2016.10.14 04:48, Matthew Thode wrote:
3 >> On 10/13/2016 10:33 PM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>>> On Oct 13, 2016, at 9:06 PM, Matthew Thode
6 >> <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
7 >>>>
8 >>>> Some definitions
9 >>>> - All devs are staff
10 >>>> - All staff are foundation members
11 >>>> - All foundation members are staff
12 >>>> - All foundation members are voting
13 >>>> - You can be staff without being a dev (forum, bugs, irc)
14 >>>> - Foundation membership is automatically revoked if you miss two
15 >>>> Foundation elections (not sure if this needs to change)
16 >>>>
17 >>>
18 >>> So what happens, exactly, when a dev misses two elections?
19 >>>
20 >>>
21 >>
22 >> I'm not certain, I personally don't think that alone should be enough
23 >> for retirement, but perhaps a probation for a year (til next election)
24 >> then retirement if they don't vote again?
25 >>
26 >> --
27 >> -- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)
31 > Matthew,
32 >
33 > Longer term, this doesn't change anything. I'll do a worked example
34 > below, what am I missing?
35 >
36 > May 2017, the above bylaw change is adopted by the Foundation
37 > Jun - Aug 2017, first Trustee election including the enlarged
38 > Foundation electorate. The number of devs casting a vote is
39 > unchanged from prior years so the turnout goes down.
40 > Longer standing members are pruned in accordance with the two
41 > year rule.
42 > Jul - Aug 2018 the process repeats. This time, most of the
43 > (conscript) devs who became Foundation members in May 2017
44 > under the bylaw change are pruned and we are back to those
45 > having an active interest.
46 >
47 > The problem is not so much the differing constituencies, long
48 > term, that won't change. Its the numbers active in the differing
49 > constituencies.
50 >
51 > This proposal doesn't really address that. It aligns the
52 > constituencies in May 2017, in my example, and that's gone
53 > by the end of Aug 2018, two elections later.
54 >
55 > How do you keep the constituencies aligned or does it really
56 > not matter because only those interested will vote anyway.
57 > Its not difficult for interested devs to become Foundation
58 > members if they want to and the Foundation has always
59 > advertised the recording date for Trustee elections in good
60 > time to allow devs to join without missing the vote.
63 The tricky technical part here that I worry about is the Gentoo Dev
64 <-> Gentoo Staff assertion, and the hard
65 staff-must-be-foundation-member and foundation-member-must-be-staff
66 rules listed above. Loss of foundation membership seems that it must
67 remove staff status by definition, but since dev's are staff simply
68 because they're dev's, are they still a dev when they lose their staff
69 status?
70
71 Now, there may well be good reason to force the Dev<->Foundation
72 member assumption. However I think the Dev<->Staff thing should
73 probably be decoupled if one cannot be staff without being a
74 foundation member.