From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Foundation membership and who can join
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 08:48:14
1 On 2016.10.14 04:48, Matthew Thode wrote:
2 > On 10/13/2016 10:33 PM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
3 > >
4 > >> On Oct 13, 2016, at 9:06 PM, Matthew Thode
5 > <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
6 > >>
7 > >> Some definitions
8 > >> - All devs are staff
9 > >> - All staff are foundation members
10 > >> - All foundation members are staff
11 > >> - All foundation members are voting
12 > >> - You can be staff without being a dev (forum, bugs, irc)
13 > >> - Foundation membership is automatically revoked if you miss two
14 > >> Foundation elections (not sure if this needs to change)
15 > >>
16 > >
17 > > So what happens, exactly, when a dev misses two elections?
21 > I'm not certain, I personally don't think that alone should be enough
22 > for retirement, but perhaps a probation for a year (til next election)
23 > then retirement if they don't vote again?
24 >
25 > --
26 > -- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)
30 Matthew,
31
32 Longer term, this doesn't change anything. I'll do a worked example
33 below, what am I missing?
34
35 May 2017, the above bylaw change is adopted by the Foundation
36 Jun - Aug 2017, first Trustee election including the enlarged
37 Foundation electorate. The number of devs casting a vote is
38 unchanged from prior years so the turnout goes down.
39 Longer standing members are pruned in accordance with the two
40 year rule.
41 Jul - Aug 2018 the process repeats. This time, most of the
42 (conscript) devs who became Foundation members in May 2017
43 under the bylaw change are pruned and we are back to those
44 having an active interest.
45
46 The problem is not so much the differing constituencies, long
47 term, that won't change. Its the numbers active in the differing
48 constituencies.
49
50 This proposal doesn't really address that. It aligns the
51 constituencies in May 2017, in my example, and that's gone
52 by the end of Aug 2018, two elections later.
53
54 How do you keep the constituencies aligned or does it really
55 not matter because only those interested will vote anyway.
56 Its not difficult for interested devs to become Foundation
57 members if they want to and the Foundation has always
58 advertised the recording date for Trustee elections in good
59 time to allow devs to join without missing the vote.
62 Regards,
63
64 Roy Bamford
65 (Neddyseagoon) a member of