From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-09-10
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 17:29:04
1 On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 4:24 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 7:15 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> However, some people raised the point that we should provide stable stages
5 >> for these architectures and drop everything else to ~arch.
6 >>
7 >> So if the Council votes 'NO' to the original question, vote on whether
8 >> only @system should
9 >> be stable for these architectures.
10 >
11 > I'd be interested in whether anybody on the arch teams themselves
12 > actually supports this proposal. I don't think I actually heard much
13 > commentary in that thread one way or another from arch team members,
14 > which is as good a reason as any to just completely drop the arch to
15 > testing. If some spoke up about being willing to keep up with the
16 > @system packages then considering allowing stable keywords for those
17 > would make more sense.
18 >
19 > And yes, I was one of the proponents of the model I tossed out there.
20 > A good idea that isn't going to be properly supported isn't a good
21 > idea.
22 >
23 > Rich
26 I'm an Alpha maintainer and a MIPS (which is unstable only)
27 maintainer. I'm against the proposal and I said so in the thread.
28
29 It seemed to me that I was the only arch team member to respond. All
30 of the +1s were from people with no stake in the architectures
31 themselves, and for me hold very little value.
32
33 I can respond with arguments and data to support my case now, or just
34 as easily (assuming I remember to attend) the upcoming council
35 meeting.