From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo, GitHub, and the Social Contract
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 13:06:51
1 On 02/15/15 10:23, Mart Raudsepp wrote:
2 > On L, 2015-02-14 at 16:37 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Andreas K. Huettel
4 >> <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> We need to resolve this discussion somehow, by formulating a clear policy.
7 >>> Which is why I'm putting it up here for discussion and will ask to add it to
8 >>> the next council meeting agenda.
9 >>
10 >> I tend to agree with what seems to be the general sentiment. As long
11 >> as we still accept patches via bugzilla/etc, then we aren't
12 >> "depending" on github.
13 >>
14 >> FOSS alternatives are to be preferred, but since we don't have those
15 >> set up, I don't see why we have to live without anything in the
16 >> meantime. If somebody wants to host such a thing, I'd encourage them
17 >> to do so, and work with infra if they'll accept help.
18 >
19 > That is a good question.
20 > I'm sorry if I am the only one to point this out, but:
21 > We do NOT have even a WEB VIEW of our OFFICIAL overlays to see what is
22 > going on there without BLINDLY cloning git URIs randomly!
23 > Why should contributors care ONE BIT about things outside their comfort
24 > zone of contributions, which is github in many cases these days?
25 > After 6 months of complete blindness on official overlays, I was
26 > eventually pointed at an outside cgit which shows what's going on there.
27
28 Yeah, http://cgit.gentooexperimental.org
29
30 I've set that up as a temporary thingy until infra remembers to infra.
31 In the meantime feel free to use it, it's updated every ~4h by cronjob.
32
33 > After 2 years of talking, we are still using CVS.
34 Actually closer to 10 years, but cvs works well enough that people don't
35 spend that much time on migrating to alternatives
36 >
37 > With all the respect to the infra team they have done with their
38 > existing capabilities, but we need to do better and find better ways to
39 > achieve what we can with existing resources and fix this completely sad
40 > state.
41
42 I would help if I could ... there's still stuff like archives.gentoo.org
43 where I have not enough information *how* it is broken to figure out a fix.
44
45 Also I'm running too much other stuff that infra should be running, so
46 why the bleeping bleep bleep bleeeeeep bleep bleep do I have to run all
47 these services?!
48
49 (If I'm not forgetting anything -
50
51 znurt.org (beandog's alternative to packages.g.o)
52 AutoRepoman (an ugly shell script I hacked together during a long weekend)
53 irker (reports to IRC, but gets horribly confused with git commits
54 messages as I still don't have access to proper git postcommit hooks)
55 libreoffice-bin build host
56 http://packages.gentooexperimental.org/packages (cronjob'ed binpkg
57 server for @system on x86/amd64)
58 http://cgit.gentooexperimental.org - even mirrors the github
59 gentoo-portage-rsync-mirror repo
60
61 )
62
63 All these things are rather trivial to set up (I spent *almost* 2h to
64 figure out cgit from scratch), so I wonder why Gentoo Infra doesn't
65 infra. If y'all need help just say so and help shall be provided!
68 Have fun,
69
70 Patrick