From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo, GitHub, and the Social Contract
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 02:23:46
1 On L, 2015-02-14 at 16:37 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Andreas K. Huettel
3 > <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > We need to resolve this discussion somehow, by formulating a clear policy.
6 > > Which is why I'm putting it up here for discussion and will ask to add it to
7 > > the next council meeting agenda.
8 >
9 > I tend to agree with what seems to be the general sentiment. As long
10 > as we still accept patches via bugzilla/etc, then we aren't
11 > "depending" on github.
12 >
13 > FOSS alternatives are to be preferred, but since we don't have those
14 > set up, I don't see why we have to live without anything in the
15 > meantime. If somebody wants to host such a thing, I'd encourage them
16 > to do so, and work with infra if they'll accept help.
17
18 That is a good question.
19 I'm sorry if I am the only one to point this out, but:
20 We do NOT have even a WEB VIEW of our OFFICIAL overlays to see what is
21 going on there without BLINDLY cloning git URIs randomly!
22 Why should contributors care ONE BIT about things outside their comfort
23 zone of contributions, which is github in many cases these days?
24 After 6 months of complete blindness on official overlays, I was
25 eventually pointed at an outside cgit which shows what's going on there.
26
27 After 2 years of talking, we are still using CVS.
28
29 It is not surprising one bit that GitHub is the last hope to people
30 hoping to help out, with some folks willing to get their contributions
31 to actually MATTER.
32 We have failed the community to provide any reasonable free software
33 ways to contribute. So semi-open source ways it is.
36 With all the respect to the infra team they have done with their
37 existing capabilities, but we need to do better and find better ways to
38 achieve what we can with existing resources and fix this completely sad
39 state.
42 Mart