From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo, GitHub, and the Social Contract
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 16:16:39
1 On 02/15/15 01:04, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Dnia 2015-02-14, o godz. 21:48:22
3 > "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> napisał(a):
4 >
5 >> whenever the suggestion comes up to enable contributions to Gentoo via Github
6 >> pull requests, we also encounter discussion of the Gentoo Social Contract.
7 >>
8 >> The two points that are seen as conflicting are
9 >>
10 >> * The software running Github is closed source, proprietary.
11 >>
12 >> * The Gentoo Social Contract states [1]:
13 >> "Gentoo will never depend upon a piece of software or metadata unless it
14 >> conforms to the GNU General Public License, the GNU Lesser General Public
15 >> License, the Creative Commons - Attribution/Share Alike or some other license
16 >> approved by the Open Source Initiative (OSI)."
17 > Maybe you should start by providing an alternative conforming to this.
18 > For a start, Infra should stop running proprietary software. However,
19 > so far they have been openly refusing to publish their scripts.
20 > In fact, I've been recently asked to put my open source overlay QA
21 > scripts [1] in a restricted-access repository.
22 >
23 > [1]:https://bitbucket.org/mgorny/overlay-qa-tools
24 >
25 I don't know why infra doesn't open their scripts. It may lead to
26 security issues, I don't know. They probably should, and I do
27 appreciate you're pointing out to your git hooks way back when I asked.
28 So kudos.
29
30 But the big difference here is that github is a company while infra is
31 volunteer work. While I don't mind people making money off our work, as
32 google does with chromeos, I do want to remain free of them. I had a
33 friend at cornell. We did our ph.d. together. He wrote some code that
34 did band structure calculations. Because he wrote it at cornell, it
35 belonged to cornell who sold the rights to one company. That company
36 then sold the rights to another and my friend followed the code. The
37 last company finally said, sorry you can't develop this code anymore and
38 you can't tell people how it works. My friend was devastated as his
39 life work was taken from him. Obviously the situation is different
40 here, but this should be a lesson.
41
42 The other reason I don't like github is because it decentralizes the
43 community as we adopt our workflow around github rather than our own infra.
44
45 BTW, at D'Youville College our union contract says, our intellectual
46 property belongs to us and the college can't take that from us. 100%
47 ours. If you see me going around aggressively slapping glp on anything
48 I write it so as to assert that claim vigorously.
51 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
52 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
53 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
54 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
55 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA