From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>, gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: Dropping rsync as a tree distribution method
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2018 07:42:08
1 On 12/15/18 9:17 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
4 > On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 12:13 AM Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o
5 > <mailto:gyakovlev@g.o>> wrote:
6 >
7 > On Saturday, December 15, 2018 8:40:38 PM PST Matt Turner wrote:
8 > > On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 11:16 PM Alec Warner <antarus@g.o
9 > <mailto:antarus@g.o>> wrote:
10 > > > - Disk usage for git vs rsync
11 > >
12 > > This is why I have not switched. With git you pull down increasing
13 > > amounts of history, whereas with rsync the data fits easily in a <1GB
14 > > partition.
15 >
16 > Recent portage can use sync-depth = 1
17 > repo dir no longer grows as it used to and it's works fine unlike
18 > initial
19 > implementation that was giving trouble
20 >
21 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/552814
22 >
23 > du -hs /var/db/repos/gentoo
24 > 350M    /var/db/repos/gentoo
25 >
26 > example /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf :
27 > [DEFAULT]
28 > main-repo = gentoo
29 >
30 > [gentoo]
31 > auto-sync = yes
32 > location = /var/db/repos/gentoo
33 > sync-type = git
34 > sync-uri = https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo.git
35 > sync-depth = 1
36 > sync-git-clone-extra-opts = -b master
37 > sync-git-verify-commit-signature = true
40 > sync is almost instantaneous compared to rsync, but some folks not
41 > going to
42 > like github as a mirror in this case.
45 > I don't plan on using github for the mirror, so I'm not overly worried
46 > about that portion.
47 >
48 > +Zac Medico <mailto:zmedico@g.o>
49 >
50 > My recollection was that git doesn't ship with ebuild metadata by
51 > default, so even if we make the first sync fast (by using depth=1 in the
52 > clone) do we have a good story for ebuild metadata? Is portage just
53 > faster than in the past for ebuilds with missing metadata? Does emerge
54 > --sync handle metadata regen for syncs with git origins?
55 >
56 > -A
57
58 The metadata has to be included in the git repostory, and we've
59 currently got "master" and "stable" branches which include everything
60 that the rsync tree has:
61
62 https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/sync/gentoo.git/log/?h=master
63 https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/sync/gentoo.git/log/?h=stable
64
65 Both branches are also mirrored on github:
66
67 https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo/commits/master
68 https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo/commits/stable
69
70 It would be interesting to see some garbage collection stats for
71 sync-deph = 1, people using it should post the output of this command:
72
73 git count-objects -v
79 > --
80 > Georgy Yakovlev