From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-10-11
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2015 09:44:17
1 On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 9:21 PM, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > When talking about Gentoo Social Contract violation by GitHub
4 > integration I apply to the following cause of the Social
5 > Contract [1]:
6 >
7 > However, Gentoo will never depend upon a piece of software or
8 > metadata unless it conforms to the GNU General Public License, the
9 > GNU Lesser General Public License, the Creative Commons -
10 > Attribution/Share Alike or some other license approved by the Open
11 > Source Initiative (OSI).
12 >
13 > If developer commits changes directly to git without bugzilla being
14 > used, this is OK, because out git repo is free and we control it.
15 > But when we start to depend on github pull requests or similar
16 > proprietary metadata, the Social Contract is violated.
17
18 I don't see how we're "depending" on github if we've already agreed
19 that you can do the same thing without using it in the first place.
20
21 If I told you that I secretly push all my changes to github, then pull
22 them to another machine, then push them to gentoo, would that be some
23 kind of violation of the social contract.
24
25 Nobody is required to even look at github to do their job, and I don't
26 believe that there is a proposal to require anybody to do so. If
27 there were I think we could consider that separately from having an
28 integration.
29
30 People are using github TODAY to work on Gentoo. If it went away
31 tomorrow, it really wouldn't affect us much. It is just an optional
32 tool, and I don't see the proposal changing that.
33
34 > IMO the best solution will be to deploy some free platform like
35 > Gogs for code review, pull request and all other fashionable
36 > features as was already suggested in this thread by Hasufell.
37
38 You're welcome to do that, and if you need permission to get infra to
39 host it you're welcome to ask us for it, assuming they're willing to
40 host it for you (and if that is really the limitation then that is
41 something we can try to tackle). Right now nobody is actually doing
42 the work on that, and I don't see the value in holding up the project
43 people are working on merely because they could be volunteering their
44 time on something else instead. By that argument we'd still be using
45 the 32-bit binary emul-* packages.
46
47 Ultimately we're a bit of a do-acracy and you get further with an
48 implementation and an argument than you get with an argument alone.
51 Rich