From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-10-11
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2015 01:22:00
1 On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 14:24:30 -0400 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
3 > > So perhaps it was unwise for us to get into a situation where either 1) we
4 > > violate the Social Contract or 2) we have to surmount a technically
5 > > difficult situation.
8 > I don't see how mirroring github on bugzilla violates our social
9 > contract, for several reasons:
10 >
11 > 1. Developers aren't required to post patches to bugzilla before
12 > committing them to the tree, so nothing is lost by posting patches on
13 > github that might otherwise not be posted anywhere.
14 > 2. Developers aren't required to open bugs on bugzilla before fixing
15 > bugs. So, nothing is lost by opening pull requests on github that
16 > might otherwise not be opened anywhere.
17
18 The problem comes not from the fact that GitHub stuff is not
19 mirrored on bugzilla, but from the fact that with GitHub
20 integration Gentoo becomes dependent on a proprietary
21 metadata, which is outside of control of our community. Bugzilla
22 mirroring was discussed only as one of possible solutions.
23
24 When talking about Gentoo Social Contract violation by GitHub
25 integration I apply to the following cause of the Social
26 Contract [1]:
27
28 However, Gentoo will never depend upon a piece of software or
29 metadata unless it conforms to the GNU General Public License, the
30 GNU Lesser General Public License, the Creative Commons -
31 Attribution/Share Alike or some other license approved by the Open
32 Source Initiative (OSI).
33
34 If developer commits changes directly to git without bugzilla being
35 used, this is OK, because out git repo is free and we control it.
36 But when we start to depend on github pull requests or similar
37 proprietary metadata, the Social Contract is violated.
38
39 Suggested solution with pull requests mirroring on out git repo may
40 solve this issue if all other data (discussions, issues and so on)
41 will be mirrored as well (bugzilla looks like a good candidate for
42 mirroring here).
43
44 IMO the best solution will be to deploy some free platform like
45 Gogs for code review, pull request and all other fashionable
46 features as was already suggested in this thread by Hasufell.
47
48 Best regards,
49 Andrew Savchenko