From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Fw: Your temporary 2 week suspension on interacting on the Gentoo Github page
Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 10:32:49
1 Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Wed, 17 May 2017 04:43:26 -0500
3 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> First thing tho, some need to stop
6 >> ignoring the problem.
7 > Its not always ignoring problems, sometimes its just that we have full
8 > plates and there's an endless river of things that need doing, and not
9 > enough of us.
10 >
11 > There's a whole lot of stuff I've been neglecting for the last week
12 > just because I'm exhausted and need a break, that's why I'm here
13 > responding instead: Its less energy consuming.
14 >
15 > I'll get back into it eventually though.
16 >
17 > But this is why I'm trying to remain terse and keep things headed in
18 > the right direction.
19
20 I see the point but to get more people involved, Gentoo needs to do some
21 things different or better. Otherwise, the complaint will always be
22 that there is not enough manpower to get things done because few are
23 joining because so many things are behind. One feeds on the other.
24 Something needs to change to help break that cycle. Unless I missed it
25 or they are no longer announcing new devs, the last I see joining was in
26 Oct of last year. That's a good bit of time. I hope I either missed it
27 or they just haven't announced them recently.
28
29 What would be nice, figure out a way to improve things and then get to a
30 point where Gentoo picks only the top people wanting to join because
31 there are more wanting to join than is even needed. That is a lot
32 better problem to deal with than not having enough to get the work done
33 and no one or very few joining. I would guess that if Gentoo had twice
34 the devs it has now, some could at least take a breath on occasion and
35 not feel they are holding anything back.
36
37 Still, things that recently happened needs to be dealt with so they
38 don't happen again. No one may never know what that person we know
39 about could have become. Sadly, that is likely one that is gone for
40 good or at least a long time. Bigger question, how many more is there
41 like that?
42
43 Dale
44